Rental Car Fleet Analysis - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #71
*shrug*

You'd prolly see me giving one of the dirty looks. Something about using the thought of a big honkin' pistol to sell your car puts me off a bit. I don't want to be driving a killing machine, but it does seem like lots of people very openly want this experience, *shrug*

Besides that I think it's ugly,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #72
Registered Member

I'm not impressed with the Caliber's FE numbers. I think it was 37 mpg highway, but that was on the sticker at the dealer in town - which means that's 37 miles per Imperial gallon.

That works out to only 30.8 mpg US. Terrible from a 4-banger IMO. I almost bought a '98 Neon because they are rated at 40 mpg US on the highway.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #73
Registered Member

Thumbs down Second Look -- Magnum SXT

To get a second set of data on the SXT, I kept it for a long road trip in hopes that the highway mileage would increase. Here's the second look:

Avg. MPG = 22.6
Avg. Speed = 57 mph
Miles = 537
Time = 5.3 hours

Unfortunately, it just doesn't live up to the expectations. At a variety of highway speeds from 50-75, the Scangauge showed an instantaneous MPG consistently in the 25 range unless a slight hill came up, then it downshifted and the high teens were experienced. I also was really hoping that these cars were more efficient -- since they're offered as a crossover/replacement for SUV buyers.

From what I've seen in road tests, the Caliber doesn't meet expectations either, which is sad - since the Neon isn't being replaced with a frugal, compact sedan, but a bigger, heavier, guzzler. I drove a Neon recently, and loved the handling -- it has been a huge hit on the autocross scene for years, but definitely needed some refinement inside and out. Fuel economy was in the high 20's/low 30's in mostly city driving. Thumbs down to DCX.

SVO -- I don't like to think of the Magnum as a big gun, but maybe the term for a large bottle of wine: expensive to buy and you probably won't use the whole thing before it goes bad.

RH77
Old 06-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #74
Registered Member

My boss has the new Charger. It is a special one that has red Brembo calipers. I forget the exact name, SST or something. Anyway when you buy one you get to go to a special driving school where they teach you performance driving.

Anyway, he is boasting that if he babys it, he can get 22MPG on the highway.

It could be worse. He could have a Hummer I guess.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #75
Registered Member

It would be an SXT designation as well. At least it is here in Canada.

And he boasts about 22 mpg? Does he have any clue what you were getting in the Del Sol?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #76
Registered Member

I have found that if I tell people the truth, they think I'm lying. It happened on various Prius forums time and time again before the Prius Marathon. I try to avoid the subject when people ask. I like being underestimated.....flying under the radar.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #77
Registered Member

Best of Brand Award: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu

That's right, you read the title correctly. Best of Brand? The Malibu line doesn't meet the criteria to live up to Camry mileage and reliability, but this Chevy deserves an award for a variety of reasons, and tops all of the GM line in innovation and economy. Since I first drove this car as a VERY welcomed replacement to the fleet-only Chevy Classic (previous generation Malibu), it was evident that this car was designed and implemented very differently.

What makes the Malibu a stand-out is its ability to use a variety of features together as an efficient vehicle, but still simple to operate. Electric power steering, push-button gear selector when in Drive, tilting and telescoping wheel, plenty of torque and mid-RPM power, and better-than-expected fuel economy add up to a nice surprise. Cargo capacity is expanded as the back seats fold flat, as does the front passenger seat. If the Malibu Maxx is selected, a longer wheelbase and a wagon-like hatchback offers rear seats that move on tracks like typical front seats to offer more space for hauling, or additional legroom (which is good in either model). Optional On-Star and XM Radio are built-into the top-tier 2LT and SS trim levels in the sedan.

The fuel economy in both the 4-cylinder and V6 consistently get better than the EPA estimates in all categories. With the torque of the V6, the vehicle feels faster than 0-60 and other published track times suggest. Controls are easy to reach and the typical sedan layout makes blind-spots minimal. The bottom line is that any new Malibu I drive, I can count on better-than-average fuel economy in a variety of speeds and conditions.

On the flip-side, the drive isn't exciting, and expected reliability isn't up to Asian makes. The transmission downshifts to 1st very oddly in Neutral, or to N from 1st (even when engine-off coasting). For example, coasting down a hill from third gear, pop it in Neutral, and coast to a stop at a traffic light. From 2nd to 1st, engine off or on, there's a hard thump and vibration, like the clutch isn't fully engaged. Just a guess, but maybe the clutch is reduced because shifting from R to D when the car is still moving is much like driving a manual -- it's an odd fault in the transmission.

The Malibu is the first of many vehicle to be built on this platform around the world. In North America, expect to see the Pontiac G6 as a badge-sharing vehicle (but of significantly less build quality and design). US Automakers and GM itself needs to take notes as to how this car was designed, and to take it as an excellent example of what folks are looking for. It's an inexpensive, domestic sedan that makes no compromises and gets tremendous fuel economy. If I'm buying the gas and taking a long trip with a rental, the Malibu is at the top of the list to choose for comfort, ease of use, and great FE every time.

Choose the 4-cylinder for less torque, better in-town FE, and a lighter foot. The V6 is the most popular and has neck snapping mid-range kick and excellent high-speed Interstate economy. All this, and it's made in my hometown of Kansas City at the Fairfax Assembly Plant. I'm usually hard on GM, but this car has earned my trust on many levels. In addition, many safety features are standard such as: excellent crash-test ratings, ABS with brakeforce distribution, front/rear head airbags, traction control, and many others.

+ Fuel Economy
+ Overall Comfort and ease of use
+ Functionality and Cargo Hauling

- Average Styling in-and-out
- Funky Transmission
- Expected Reliability

2006 Chevrolet Malibu
Trim Level: 2LT V6
EPA Vehicle Class: Midsize Car
Engine: Pushrod 3.5L V-6 rated at 217 hp / 217 ft-lb torque
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic with torque converter and "Manumatic" shift button
EPA Mileage Estimates (City/Highway/Combined Cycle): 22/32/26
Avg. Speed: 62 MPH
Time = 9.2 hours
Miles = 578
Weather Conditions over 2-days: Fair. Temp range 60-90F
Driving Style: Average
Location Test: Tulsa Metro to Kansas City and Metro Areas

MPG = 31.8
Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
My boss has the new Charger.
I just took a look at it... it's got hit with the ugly stick, big time. Looks like the grafted the front end of a Ram on the damn thing.

And looks like Detroit is manufacturing the same sort of cars they did the last time a gas crisis hit.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #79
Registered Member

The Brick is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira
I just took a look at it... it's got hit with the ugly stick, big time. Looks like the grafted the front end of a Ram on the damn thing.

And looks like Detroit is manufacturing the same sort of cars they did the last time a gas crisis hit.
I agree. If you look at American cars of the early 1950's, streamlined designs were the norm. Then by the 70's, something happened and most vehicles ended up looking like a brick -- flat front end, squared edges, and still a large size with a de-tuned V-8 to meet the new emission requirements. What happened to aerodynamics? It was probably a design fad.

Oddly, DCX is taking the same route with their entire Dodge range -- the compact Caliber is bigger and more gas-guzzling; and the focus has been on throwback designs to attract older buyers and each grille replaced with a pickup truck design. I can't see them selling a huge number of any of these, with the way gas prices have become. Rumor has it that the Chrysler Sebring is up for re-design. I'm concerned that the 2.4L Mitsubishi 4-cylinder will be replaced with the 2.7L V-6 as the base engine, with a design similar to the 300.

Back to the Charger, I think some Police Departments may opt for the Dodge instead of the industry standard "Police Interceptor" / Ford Crown Victoria (if it becomes available). I would imagine the 5.7L HEMI would guzzle gas like crazy when compared to the Ford's 4.6L in fleet service.

RH77
Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #80
FE nut

Just in case anyone is wondering, the police Charger looks just as ugly , or more so, in person. I know, the town my mom lives in has one. EEWW!

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Car Reviews Forum! »