Subaru Outback owners? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
LDB
Registered Member

Question Subaru Outback owners?

I'm thinking about moving to a Subaru Outback as a step up in size and luxury level. I know people are logging fuel ups for them but are any of you guys lurking on the forum? Thoughts/comments/impressions/hints/tips/suggestions especially on the Gen 5?

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

An Outback will be a huge step backwards in fuel economy from your Prius. Have you looked at an Escape with Ecoboost?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

The boxer diesel is a good engine, smooth, powerful and effecient. A customer has one, he gets 45-55 UK MPG, it's not the most efficient engine out there, not compared to the German or French, but it seems like a solid choice if available in the US.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

Yes, I'm debating between the Outback and a Lexus ES350. Both drop about 1/3 on mpg but I only drive 600-650 miles a month so it will be a big hit but it won't be a big hit. I like the Escape ok but it seems like more of a lateral move from the Prius. I want to move up a step on the quietness and luxury scales.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Yes, I'm debating between the Outback and a Lexus ES350. Both drop about 1/3 on mpg but I only drive 600-650 miles a month so it will be a big hit but it won't be a big hit. I like the Escape ok but it seems like more of a lateral move from the Prius. I want to move up a step on the quietness and luxury scales.
Outback is a great car, never talked to a owner who was not happy. Very nice interior. The Escape is in a class much below the Outback (Lincoln MKC is about the same trim level.)

Full time 4 WD takes a hit on fuel economy but gives the chance to go off road a little. While actually it has more ground clearance than my Rover or Jeep Cherokee so you can have a little fun in the mud.

Lexus dependable but ho hum.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

The Outback is not a particularly quiet car.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

I loved my 2011 Outback and was sad to see it go. I was nearly 28-30mpgs for the better part of 3.5 years. Very little maintenance required, and no issues as of 162,000 miles.
It was a phenomenal car; roomy, sporty, and great in the snow.
bpnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

We have a 2012 Outback. Besides the routine maintenance (service interval per the book is 7500 miles, but of course the dealership wants to service it every 3000) it has been almost trouble-free. We cannot blame Subaru for the electrical cables gnawed by rodents, even if the repair required a new wiring harness and seven hours of shop time. It is very sensitive to an incorrectly-closed gas cap, and it will throw an engine check light, turn off the ABS, ESC, and disable the cruise control when that happens. Rumor has it that when the tires get worn down, and one fails due to something like a nail in the sidewall, you will have to replace all four because the all-wheel-drive system will not tolerate the slightly different tire sizes for very long (one new tire with full tread, three worn).

Subaru requires a fairly major service at 30,000 miles, which cost us $650. We are coming due for the 60,000 mile service and the dealership tells us it will cost pretty close to $1000.

We drove an Outback with Subaru's safety system installed, which includes blind-spot warning, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control with "following too close" warning, and no doubt some others. It was the worst back-seat driver either of us has ever encountered, and we couldn't wait to return the car.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
We have a 2012 Outback. Besides the routine maintenance (service interval per the book is 7500 miles, but of course the dealership wants to service it every 3000) it has been almost trouble-free. We cannot blame Subaru for the electrical cables gnawed by rodents, even if the repair required a new wiring harness and seven hours of shop time. It is very sensitive to an incorrectly-closed gas cap, and it will throw an engine check light, turn off the ABS, ESC, and disable the cruise control when that happens. Rumor has it that when the tires get worn down, and one fails due to something like a nail in the sidewall, you will have to replace all four because the all-wheel-drive system will not tolerate the slightly different tire sizes for very long (one new tire with full tread, three worn).

Subaru requires a fairly major service at 30,000 miles, which cost us $650. We are coming due for the 60,000 mile service and the dealership tells us it will cost pretty close to $1000.

We drove an Outback with Subaru's safety system installed, which includes blind-spot warning, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control with "following too close" warning, and no doubt some others. It was the worst back-seat driver either of us has ever encountered, and we couldn't wait to return the car.

Jeez, sorry for all your troubles. I did most all of my own maintenance, and oil changes were performed between 5-7500 mile intervals. I also didn't have any of those safety features you describe, but I've read they are hard to get used to on all new vehicles, not only Subaru.

The tire issue you mentioned was not an issue for me. I drive so much that tire failures were common, as was replacing one new tire at a time. Never an issue with the TPS.
All four tires were replaced from the Stock Continentals (I believe) to GoodYear Fuel Max. There were both quiet and efficient, netting me an extra 10% in the mpg dept!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post

Hi Charon - I have had a few Subarus (I own 3 now) and I always have them maintained by the dealer. Just follow the maintenance schedule that came with the car. If the manual says 7500 miles for an oil change, stick to it. There is no major service at 30,000 or 60,000. There may be a few things additional things that need to be inspected, but not $600 worth. Many dealers have packaged a bunch of services together and call it a major service, but that is not what the maintenance schedule calls for. Just do what is in the printed schedule and you will stay within Subaru's warranty and save yourself a ton of money.

Back to the original post - I have a 2016 Subaru that has been a step up in quietness and interior comfort. I find it a relaxing ride. I have the 6 cylinder, so I'm not setting any MPG records. I'm running around 23 mpg overall.

MultiSubie is offline   Reply With Quote