The New CRX (2011 CRZ) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How did I read right past the EPA estimates?

Those numbers make it the most efficient non-hybrid gasoline powered vehicle on the market. I don't see why you guys are sneering.
But it IS a hybrid. I'm not in the market for a new car right now anyway. Hopefully one or more of the cars from the Automotive X-Prize will make their way to the market in the next five years or so.

Bill

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffmeistro View Post
(That, and it doesn't have the energy wasting torque converter to deal with, which is the bane of all automatics)
I was comparing it to its rating with a manual transmission...there is no traditional automatic available with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrggeek View Post
But it IS a hybrid.
Eek! Once again I missed something that is totally obvious. It's plastered all over the page but I was so focused on reading numbers that I missed it.

In that case, it is the only hybrid available with a manual transmission right now. That gives it quite a distinction for hypermilers, IMO.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrggeek View Post
But it IS a hybrid.
Well, in all honestly, his statement still stands.

As a hybrid, yes, it is a lot more pathetic than it could be.

But it is the single most efficient sport coupe on the market.

Honda isn't trying to make a car focused on FE, Honda is trying to show that hybrids don't have to be boring.

Don't think of it as an inefficient hybrid, think of it as a hyper-efficient sport coupe.
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I was comparing it to its rating with a manual transmission...there is no traditional automatic available with it.
Even so, once more my statement stands.

The bane of automatics, and one of the reasons why even an incredibly efficient automatic has a hard time keeping up with a manual for FE, is the wasteful, overheating Torque converter.

With the fact that not only does it not have one of those horrid things, added to the fact that it is able to keep up the RPM at a perfect efficiency, means that it is more efficient than a manual, when the manual is driven normally.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffmeistro View Post
Mostly because the stability control is legally required in all vehicles 2012 and later, and well... Traction control really is just a component of stability control.
Welcome to the nanny-state where even idiots can learn to drive!

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Stability control is more about band-aiding the inherent instability of narrow, tall SUVs being driven like cars than it is about making driving easier.

I don't care either way about it as long as it can be shut off, but I do like that it means you're likely to have ABS.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

I think Biffmeistro meant a hyper-efficient 2011 sport coupe...there's no sense comparing new cars to 1980s-1990s cars, because there's no sense being exercised at the car companies.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #18

Actually.....

At a comparable scale (Adjusted for the method of MPG calculation of 2008), the 1986 CRX Si (The most efficient Si CRX of all), got 26 city, 30 highway.

The manual CR-Z gets 31/37.

As far as performance goes, yes, the 91 CRX Si has a 0-60 of about 8.5 vs Edmunds test of 8.8 on the CR-Z, so it does have the miniscule advantage there, but the CRX Si could only pull .81g on the skidpad vs .83 for the CR-Z, with the CR-Z posting a 61.4mph slalom vs a 61.0 for the CRX.

So... Perfomance wise, these two cars are, near as makes no difference, Identical.

And yet the CR-Z gets better City MPG than the CRX did highway. Heck, even when you take the 1991 EPA ratings, the CR-Z still trashes it. Originally, the CRX Si was rated at 28/33.

So yes, the CR-Z IS a hyper efficient CRX Si. Meeting it in every performance category, and beating it in every FE category.

And when you think of it not as a hybrid, but as a performance car, it still is the most efficient performance car you can get, at all.

According to the EPA site, fort 2011 cars:
The current highest MPG "Sporty" car is the Audi A5 at 23/30.
The current highest MPG "Coupe" is the A5 quattro at 21/31
The current highest MPG "Hatchback" is the Aveo at 27/35

Heck, the only current non-hybrid gasoline cars that get better MPG are the new Fiesta and the Smart.

Yes, it is a hyper efficient sporty car. It is the most fuel efficient sporty car EVER made.

I do challenge you, find a sport oriented car that has ever had EPA mpg ratings higher than it, and you can even use the manual EPA ratings to make it easier. (Edit: It has to be in the USA, of course. No cheating by using nations with lax emissions regulations)

Edit: So far the closest thing I could find for a "sporty" type of car would be the Mini Cooper, and even that only is able to match the highway FE of the CR-Z, but not even touch the City MPG. 28/37
Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #19
Registered Member

just saw it and (insert barfing smiley here)

why WHY do new cars all look like a buncha electric razors had sex with plastic easter eggs...

doesnt look any sportier than most of the new cars that size that are out to me...

looks like im stuck looking at pre mid 90's cars since that stupid 2012 ESC mandate law is around; too much anti retard stuff on cars nowadays...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #20
Registered Member

If ESC is the only thing stopping you from looking at newer cars, it's easy enough to disable. Also, you don't need to go so far back to mid-90s; 2008 was when the law first started taking effect, before that there were plenty of cars sold without it.