The New CRX (2011 CRZ) - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #61
Registered Member

Re: The New CRX (2011 CRZ)

Well the girlfriend brought back the 2011 CR-Z. I knew she'd love it and she did. I'd also say she got a very good deal on it. I doubt I could have gotten it for a price much less than $200-$400 lower than she did.

I drove it tonight and it's a sweet little ride. It reminds me a lot of the CRX in the 80s, except it has so many of today's creature comforts and gadgets. I'm really impressed with this car. It handles tightly, corners, is nimble and has a little race car mentality with ability to rock on FE. The sport mode definitely gives you an alternative if you're in a high-traffic situation at high speeds.

She drove it home around 385 miles and got 42 miles per gallon and only took her 9 gallons to make the trip. I believe that if she keeps this car in "Eco" mode all the time, it will average 42 up to 45 mpg. I would have no problem driving this car on a long distance trip. It's incredibly comfortable, roomy and plush. Obviously, the only drawback is it's a 2-seater, but it has plenty of cargo room just like the old CRX's of the 80s and 90s and she has no kids so this makes perfect sense for her or anyone without kids wanting a fun little car with great mpg.

The only thing that might bother some people about the car is a slight blind spot in the corner windows. I only noticed it when I first drove the car but after three or four miles I didn't notice it at all. It's not near as distracting or difficult to deal with as the Prius. The car has large windows front, side and back so it makes up for the small corner windows.

I'll drive it some more in a few days and post some pictures and give an overall rating, but I can already tell you it's going to be favorable. My first impression is on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best, that the CR-Z rates a solid 9.

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #62
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: The New CRX (2011 CRZ)

Ok, it's been more than two months since I first drove the Honda CR-Z and gave it my initial review. Here's an update with better detail and explanation.

First off, the car is an engineering marvel. It is simply hard to describe how wonderful this little bugger is. It has the complete feel of a sports car, the look of a sports car, and the efficiency of a hybrid. Handling is excellent. It can take curves and corners on a dime. The suspension is very very nice, soft and smooth ride. The interrior is roomy for such a small car, comfortable and satisfying. I'm 6-foot-2 almost (6-1 3/4) and I fit fine in this car from headroom to legroom there are no issues. The seats are stylish and comfortable. All of the dashboard and ergnomics are impressively designed. I can answer the phone, I can turn on or off my radio, change stations, change songs on my Ipod, change gears with the engine, move from "normal" to "sport" to economy mode, change the climate conditions, and check out the car's computer display for its performance all with the push of a button that is either on the steering wheel or within a few inches of it. There are many other features that I could mention here too. I never have to take my eyes off the road or am distracted looking for something to turn on or off while I'm driving. Let's just say the dash and the controls are excellently thought out and set up.

The car drives much like a small car would be expected when it's in the economy mode. It's doesn't putter along though. It's got some giddy-up in the economy mode. In the normal mode, it drives like a normal car. It has more power and feels stronger. In the sport mode, the car is begging to be punched and driven. It kicks it up a couple notches. These are all wonderful features that can really satisfy your desire for how you want to drive at that particular moment.

One of the best features about this car is that it's a hybrid. The engine shuts off completely at stoplights and stop signs, all in the name of conserving fuel. It also has a guage which you can monitor and it tells you when you are driving with battery power or when you're driving on gas power. You can basically drive it at certain levels to find the "sweet spot" in the engine and it will drive on just as much battery power as gasoline. This is how you maximize the car's fuel efficiency. It's a really nice little touch that Honda has added for fuel-conscious drivers.

Originally, I thought the back window was too obstructed and flat, to be too much of a blind spot for my taste. But, having driven the car now for a couple of months, I've found that my eyes have adjusted to the windows in the back and I now pick up on all the cues and settings behind me. It took about 4-5 weeks of getting used to, but now I'm just as comfortable driving this car as I was my 4Runner with windows everywhere. My point is, there really isn't the blind spot that one might think or fear. I don't even notice it any more because my eyes are now trained to look certain ways.

The only issue with this car is that it's a 2-seater. There's plenty of cargo room in the backseat. That's no problem at all. But, obviously, you can't drive a family of four around in it. Still, I'm single and so is my girlfriend so this car is perfect for single people. I have a 4-Runner that seats five, and I've probably needed to seat five maybe 10 times in the past 15 years in it. I would say 99 percent of my driving consists of 2 persons or less in my vehicle and that's probably true for a very high percentage of people. Thus, the Honda CR-Z being a 2-seater is really not an issue for me, and wouldn't be for a lot of people.

As far as fuel efficiency, during October and November, the CR-Z was regularly getting 41-42 mpg in the city. Through Dec. 24, the car is getting about 37 mpg city. It's much colder here now, and we tend to let the car warm up a little before driving it just to have the interrior comfortable and warm. I imagine if driven properly in the economy mode, this car can get at least 45 mpg on the highway and realistically can get 50 mpgs.

Also, because I've noticed what many of you have said about the car's looks. I've been stopped by people at redlights, gas stations and in the McDonald's drive through and asked what kind of car I was driving. They then told me it was really cool looking and they'd never one before. All of these people were younger people. This is a stylish and sporty looking car whether you particularly like it's look or not. It does appeal to another generation.

Another thing, the person who said Honda was trying to design a car that was both sporty and fuel efficient while showing that hybrids do not have to be boring and plain was exactly right. Honda nailed this idea and I imagine you'll see the younger generation start buying them.

Now, I'm biased because I like fuel efficient cars and I like small sporty cars. I also love Hondas for both of the formentioned reasons along with their styling, longetivity and durability. You can't beat a Honda. Personally, I think the Honda CR-Z is a home run for Honda.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this car a 9.5 and two thumbs up.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #63
Registered Member

An update ... we drove the CRZ from Arkansas to Florida this past summer twice. Got 47 mpg on one trip, and got 45 mpg on the other. (600-mile trip one way). Saved about $125 in gas each trip!!! These are cool cars!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #64
Registered Member

Hi Arky,
Nice to read you're happy with the CR-Z. Indeed, it's not a bad car.
Longtime since I've been on this site. Meanwhile I traded my Civic 1.4 2007 for an Accord 2.0 i-Vtec (2011) (both European models).
Very happy with the Accord. Consumes a bit more fuel, but now there's an engine under the hood .

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote