Thinking of the Saturn/Vauxhall Astra Opinions Please.? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thinking of the Saturn/Vauxhall Astra Opinions Please.?

Thinking of the Saturn/Vauxhall Astra!
After doing much research on European forums and test driving the 5 door hatch myself. This seems to be a great little ride that gets 30+ mpg hwy.

Hopefully someone here will provide some tips specific for this model to get more out of it. It has the 1.8L gas engine with very good build quality and plenty of zip and excellent handling. Solid car that basically same unit as sold in Europe except for the Saturn badges and different bumper covers to meet US safety standards..

Besides commuting to my IT job 70miles round trip, I also run a PC repair business part-time and this 5 door would be great for my needs.

Opinions...lets hear um..

Thanks

tngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Supporting Member

tngreg -

I have been waiting/watching for the Astra, but I don't have detailed info on it either. I have been reading the articles at the www.saturnfans.com home page and noticed this :

New hatchback praised as GM's star small car - Sunday, April 6, 2008
http://www.saturnfans.com/cgi-bin/li...mp.cgi?ID=6487
Quote:
... This two-door hatchback was shipped from the continent with minimal revisions. You feel it every time you travel over a pathetically maintained road. I would love to strap some of my state legislators in this car and have them travel down some of our beautifully rutted roads and see if their spleens are still intact.

Yes, the Astra has a firm ride. A very firm ride. But the car possesses taut handling, minimal body lean and crisp steering associated with European cars. ...
The above doesn't matter to me because I like "road feel". If ride comfort is an issue for you, then be prepared. But, you test drove it already, so that probably isn't an issue for you.

Saturn's Hip Little Hatchback - March 18, 2008
http://www.saturnfans.com/cgi-bin/li...mp.cgi?ID=6485
Quote:
On the plus side, the Astra is far better designed and built than GM's previous small cars. It's also reasonably priced, especially considering how much standard equipment it packs. There are two trim levels: the XE, which starts at $15,995, and the XR, which starts at $17,545. Even the base model comes loaded with gear you don't necessarily expect to get on a low-priced GM vehicle: full-power accessories, rain-sensitive wipers, six airbags (including head-protecting, side-curtain bags), a tilting and telescoping steering wheel, cruise control, and a trip computer. Moving up to the XR gets you alloy wheels, air conditioning, and a better sound system.
If I were shopping for a new car, it would be in my top five list. I loved the previous generation Pontiac Vibe (the new one is too Matrixy for me), but the 5-Door Astra reminds me of that Previous-Gen Vibe a lot (Ha ha, if I had one, maybe I'd call it a Saturn Vibe!!!!). I wish it was built in the USA, but I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

for the moment they're all build in belgium (hope it doesn't come appart should you get one no reason to assume it should btw ) i haven't driven one of these, but they sell quite well over here and they're a common sight on the streets so i assume a lot of people think they're ok.

my dad works on these cars so i could ask what he thinks of them from a technical point of view...

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

lunarhighway,
Please do ask your father.
I think these will sell good over here in US. The care drives great and feels solid..

Greg
tngreg is offline   Reply With Quote