What new car 08-09 has The Best MPG's - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
*************, you live in the US and are discussing this with users in the US. How is the Honda City, a car that's not available on this continent, relevant in a discussion of whether or not the Smart is a good choice for someone choosing among what's available here?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
*************, you live in the US and are discussing this with users in the US. How is the Honda City, a car that's not available on this continent, relevant in a discussion of whether or not the Smart is a good choice for someone choosing among what's available here?
The only reason why the smartfortwo got here was due to third party dealers bringing the car over here, doing that to the Honda City would be a lot better idea.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I've never understood how someone could buy a car so small and so heavy, which gets such poor mileage for its size and power. There are other Kei cars that get better mileage than the Smart Fortwo, just take a look at the Honda City...
Yep, looks like my next tank of gas on my Smart will be only around 47-49 mpg's (wow that sucks )- just a guesstimate from what the Scangauge is telling me right now - I'll fill up tomorrow as I still have plenty of gas left on this tank and have 340 miles on it so far.

Some people (A LOT OF PEOPLE) don't buy cars strictly on size, power, & mileage. Many of the cars I've gotten was because I liked it - the Smart falls into that category. That sucky mileage you mention that I'm getting was an afterthought. I wanted a car with character, very few cars in the US have that. I'm not gonna bash any other of the vanillas out there though.

Oh, I completely missed you what you're driving and mileage?
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to CKaelin
Someone say YARIS? I just got one last week. 5 speed hatch back (lift back). I'm loving it so far! 12,500 OTD! Tacoma Buy back payed for most of it! On my third tank. (1st was dealer fill) First tank I drove "normally" 65-75 on highway, AC on, I got 37mpg. Tank I just filled this morning. I got 46.76 mpg! No AC, Didn't go over 60 on the highway. I am really excited about this little car!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
Someone say YARIS? I just got one last week. 5 speed hatch back (lift back). I'm loving it so far! 12,500 OTD! Tacoma Buy back payed for most of it! On my third tank. (1st was dealer fill) First tank I drove "normally" 65-75 on highway, AC on, I got 37mpg. Tank I just filled this morning. I got 46.76 mpg! No AC, Didn't go over 60 on the highway. I am really excited about this little car!
This is a new car, I read from a lot of people that the yaris starts to lose mileage over time, getting into the low 20s..
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Yep, looks like my next tank of gas on my Smart will be only around 47-49 mpg's (wow that sucks )- just a guesstimate from what the Scangauge is telling me right now - I'll fill up tomorrow as I still have plenty of gas left on this tank and have 340 miles on it so far.

Some people (A LOT OF PEOPLE) don't buy cars strictly on size, power, & mileage. Many of the cars I've gotten was because I liked it - the Smart falls into that category. That sucky mileage you mention that I'm getting was an afterthought. I wanted a car with character, very few cars in the US have that. I'm not gonna bash any other of the vanillas out there though.

Oh, I completely missed you what you're driving and mileage?
47mpg is crap compared to what you should get for its size IMO. 60MPG>47MPG. Also I doubt you had 4 passengers, running A/C and going up inclines. Also you're entitled to what you want to drive, but to not acknowledge that the Smartfortwo gets crap mileage is annoying and naive.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
Great going. Yaris is nice and once it loosens up your mileage will get better. Keep up your mileage logs.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #28
Registered Member

I'm going to Chime in and give my opinion on the yaris.

I love Toyota, it's all I ever owned before my subaru (that I sold), I drive my GF's yaris alot, and all thing said, I'd never get one just because of the driving position, on the highway it's just a pain for me (I'm 5"10..normal height). The pedals seems too close to the seat and if you back it up the steering it too far. My right foot gets incredibly fatigued by having the pedal more vertically than most cars.

All that being said, if she had cruise control..it would be perfect . .. I love EVERYTHING ELSE about the car!

The MPG is incredible, the engine shift into overdrive just driving at 50 KM/H and the torque converter seems locked at any given speed, that thing means business MPG wise.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
The MPG is incredible, the engine shift into overdrive just driving at 50 KM/H and the torque converter seems locked at any given speed, that thing means business MPG wise.
That's something I dislike at present about the auto in my Passat TDI, it doesn't permit simple forced top gear or lock-up, despite having a manual function.
Leave it in drive and 5th doesn't engage until 42 mph regardless of engine load or terrain. Move the selector to manual and 5th won't select until 40 mph, again regardless of load or terrain. Keep hitting +, +, + all you want, the controller won't allow 5th until 40 mph.
Drop below 40 mph and the transmission goes into 4th, whether in auto or manual mode, even when coasting with zero load. Unfortunately, in manual it doesn't return to the previous 5th, but remains in 4th until faster than 40 and 5th is re-selected. In full auto it will go up to 5th on it's own at 42 mph if the load is low enough.
I'm still learning the quirks of this car. I also have the software to access the electronics, possibly allowing modification of the transmission controller's factory default shift points.
The rest of the entire package is really nice. I'll tolerate and work around the transmission idiosyncracies.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
That's something I dislike at present about the auto in my Passat TDI, it doesn't permit simple forced top gear or lock-up, despite having a manual function.
Leave it in drive and 5th doesn't engage until 42 mph regardless of engine load or terrain. Move the selector to manual and 5th won't select until 40 mph, again regardless of load or terrain. Keep hitting +, +, + all you want, the controller won't allow 5th until 40 mph.
Drop below 40 mph and the transmission goes into 4th, whether in auto or manual mode, even when coasting with zero load. Unfortunately, in manual it doesn't return to the previous 5th, but remains in 4th until faster than 40 and 5th is re-selected. In full auto it will go up to 5th on it's own at 42 mph if the load is low enough.
I'm still learning the quirks of this car. I also have the software to access the electronics, possibly allowing modification of the transmission controller's factory default shift points.
The rest of the entire package is really nice. I'll tolerate and work around the transmission idiosyncracies.
That sounds like something you could hack.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote