What new car 08-09 has The Best MPG's - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Something that's a huge factor on buying a car that many don't take into account, is how long you expect to own the vehicle, and what the resale will be at that time. Buying american just doesn't make sense no matter what the MPG or vehicle cost is, they just depreciate horribly.

Also keep in mind that if gas takes a few more sharp spikes in the next couple years, a car like the yaris might hold it's value very well. Toyota and honda have had really good resale values in the last decade, and are sure bets on getting decent value back out of the vehicle.

But, if gas prices drop, or if lots of states start converting to E20 or higher, everything could change. Who knows what that will due to gas prices in the long run, and manufactures might start making engines with much higher compression, making yesterday's gas sippers obsolete.

The safe bet is to not spend too much money to get good gas mileage, and use the vehicle cost and resale to bring overal cost down. In this light the Yaris looks like a great choice. If you're a bit more daring, the prius might be a better long term option, though I havn't been impressed with the hybrid depreciate I've seen. And the cost of batteries in 8-12 years kind scares me.
If one buys a new car and keeps it throughout it's entire life, then resale value is nearly irrelevent. My Yaris out the door was $13,100 and when I'm done with it, it will be worth maybe $100....I'm completely okay with that, as I got more then my money's worth.

Resale value is generally more relevent for those that flip through their cars too often...something that is very detrimental to one's finances...

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #42
Registered Member

Yes, but look at my post, and the origonal post.

I even stated at the VERY begining that it's all dependant on how long you plan to own the vehicle. Even the different between keeping a vehicle 5 years or 10 years can have a dramatic effect on resale value and what price range you should expect, or what brand to go with even. Different brands have different depreciation curves, even variances withing companies.

And the origonal poster mention the car that is going to be replaced, and it's an 06' I'm betting they're not the type to drive a car into the ground. This is quite typical of our modern culture that would rather have the modern features new cars offer, than take the ultimate value route of driving something old and dated. We demand the most for our dollor, even though we're spending a lot of them.

So in that vien, my post is completely applicable I think. Depreciation is a HUGE factor in what vehicle to buy. Some could even say that buying a BMW is more economical than a Jaguar of the same price, because Jaguars value falls of dramatically after 10 years, where as the BMW will see a steady, almost liniar price drop.

GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Yes, but look at my post, and the origonal post.

I even stated at the VERY begining that it's all dependant on how long you plan to own the vehicle. Even the different between keeping a vehicle 5 years or 10 years can have a dramatic effect on resale value and what price range you should expect, or what brand to go with even. Different brands have different depreciation curves, even variances withing companies.

And the origonal poster mention the car that is going to be replaced, and it's an 06' I'm betting they're not the type to drive a car into the ground. This is quite typical of our modern culture that would rather have the modern features new cars offer, than take the ultimate value route of driving something old and dated. We demand the most for our dollor, even though we're spending a lot of them.

So in that vien, my post is completely applicable I think. Depreciation is a HUGE factor in what vehicle to buy. Some could even say that buying a BMW is more economical than a Jaguar of the same price, because Jaguars value falls of dramatically after 10 years, where as the BMW will see a steady, almost liniar price drop.

Nope, not with those that are in the know, are financially smart, our types know that depreciation is really a small thing.

If one is smart, they will usually drive the car until it's use is all used up. Just because our dysfunctional culture likes to drive a new car every few years does not make it right.

What you need to realize is that our society is damaging their financial futures by flipping cars. One can see millions of used cars for sale that often have nothing wrong with them. And the seller often takes a bath, and the buyer often does too, as dealerships often over inflate the selling price of used cars that they sale. They screw you coming and going.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #44
Registered Member

I never disagreed that it was stupid idea to only keep a car 5-10 years. I'm just giving advice that's applicable to the majority of society, and might well be completely relevant to our memeber posting here.

If he's buying a new car, that alone tells me he's not that finantially minded. It's almost always finicially more wise to get a used car to begin with.
GasSavers_Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
So how many litres per 100km are you getting with that "smart car" anyhow? Do the pumps in canada have a readout for litres?
My pulse cdi cabriolet is averaging , which is the same as what shows in my signature translated to US MPG.

Yes our pumps read out in litres and have done since 1978.

When I was on a road trip through northern CA to Arizona and Nevada 2 weeks ago in the B 200, I had to convert those tiny US gallons (3.79 L) for my FE records.

We used to use Imperial/British gallons (4.55 L) in Canada prior to 1978.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Great going. Yaris is nice and once it loosens up your mileage will get better. Keep up your mileage logs.
I almost got a Smart car myself, mainly because they are cute and economical, but also for the gas mileage. But, was not able to locate one here, so I started looking at the Yaris. Even they were hard to find as well, took me 3 weeks to get one and I've had it for a month and LOVING the gas mileage on this little car.

First tank 39, and that is city/hwy and a/c on
Second 43, city/hwy and no a/c all the time (just the really hot days)

And now, I'm on my third tank. Sure is better then the 2001 Saturn SC2 I had before getting this one. And like you said, the mileage only gets better once you get past 10,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #47

Honestly I think better mileage is more obtainable in the Yaris. In my Smart, 3k was around when it started driving better - I suppose that was the break in point. I do like the Yaris though the white ones remind me of Snoopy. It is still a car with a little character. I don't want to drive something that blends into the scenery.

For the Yaris, I think adding an armrest would make a difference. The one I test drove a while back was screaming for one (that and cruise control).

You'll be busting out those 47mpg tanks in no time.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to CKaelin
Just wanted to revisit this thread.. Whoever said something about YARIS dropping MPGs into the 20's has their facts wrong. Check out

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/index.php

Here is my running Gas Log since I bough the car 4 months ago. Still LOVING it! Best bang for the buck! $12,500 out the door! Sales Tax everything.. Might be tough to get one for that price now.. I want to check out an IQ!

I added an armrest, bumper protector and mud flaps.. =) Oh and had to tint it.. =0
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1052 View Post
My wife travels throughout the East Coast for her job, we have an 06 Kia Spectra with a ton of miles, and I want to purchase A newcar for her. We need something small comfy reliable and the best MPGS..IDEAS PLEASE...

Chris
Toyota Corolla (regular, not the XRS) would be a good choice, Toyota magazines (Toyota Connections magazine) rated the Corolla as being more gas saving than the Yaris.

Honda Civic is a good choice too, I remember my family owning a 95 Civic for over ten years and never had a mechanical problem except needing to change water pumps, timing belt.

The Yaris has a low price, saves gas and all but the car is really too small.