What new car 08-09 has The Best MPG's - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > News and Articles > Car Reviews
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1 View Post
Toyota Corolla,Yaris(my brothers' automatic one just got 40mpg)Matrix/vibe(wait for Sept. for the new iQ from toyota)
Honda. Civic,insight
So glad that someone mentions the Matrix. Consumer Reports seem to agree that it is relatively fuel economical. Please see: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...cks-videos.htm.
I have the 09 AWD version. Its fuel economy is not bad but is much worse than that of the Yaris. Still, if one needs a car of its particular size and practicality, I would recommend it .

swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
Toyota Yaris, is the only way to go, and the MOST FE. Dont get any option (or maybe the AC if your south) and the price will be okay.

But still a Chevrolet Aveo is getting good highway FE and they are cheaper than the Yaris.

It all comes down to the price, and also if you planned on keeping the car for a wild, if so, I would go with the Yaris. Also, if you traveled a lot, than go with the Yaris because of the mpg.
The Aveo is a deawoo , and could be a reliability disaster. I would go with the Yaris.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Registered Member

I like my new 2008 Civic sedan. It's getting 35 + MPG right now, but I just got it yesterday. I leave tomorrow for 2 weeks worth of training for my job, but when I get back, I am going to see what I can really get out it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

The cheapest car Toyota makes, the car that saves the most $$, and the lowest cost of ownership is the Preeeee....NO! It's not the Prius...it's the Yaris! The Prius cost of ownership (including gasoline) is higher, and you'd have to drive it over 300,000 miles before it gets cheaper then the gas-only Yaris. Goes to show you, hybrids are not the cheapest in regard to cost of ownership/gasoline costs.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #15

Small - comfy - reliable?

Yaris, Corolla, Civic, Accent, Scion Xd, are just a few and with that being said...... I'm a Smart owner - almost 5,000 trouble free miles so far. Unfortunately you can't walk into a Smart dealer and buy one.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner View Post
Small - comfy - reliable?

Yaris, Corolla, Civic, Accent, Scion Xd, are just a few and with that being said...... I'm a Smart owner - almost 5,000 trouble free miles so far. Unfortunately you can't walk into a Smart dealer and buy one.
I've never understood how someone could buy a car so small and so heavy, which gets such poor mileage for its size and power. There are other Kei cars that get better mileage than the Smart Fortwo, just take a look at the Honda City...
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I've never understood how someone could buy a car so small and so heavy, which gets such poor mileage for its size and power. There are other Kei cars that get better mileage than the Smart Fortwo, just take a look at the Honda City...
The waiting period to get a new smart is many months. All these people must like something about the smart. It is such a revolutionary vehicle, one must hope it does great in the US. Maybe it will finally convince people they don't need to drive around by themselves in pickup trucks and suvs. The smart car's success will hopefully be the gateway to many more smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles. Look at all the options consumers in Europe have that we don't get, the smart may convince manufacturers to bring them here.

The smart car is not perfect, but its success may be the tip of the iceberg so to speak to new fuel efficient vehicles. Don't forget the smart fortwo diesel gets around 70 mpg, if it comes to the US would you still scoff at it? It may take the gas version to be a huge success to convince them to bring over the diesel. You have to admit that it is a step in the right direction, maybe not the best solution, but it will hopefully be the start of the fuel efficient revolution in the US. We may not all like the smart car or think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we need it to be successful.
Kohote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohote View Post
The waiting period to get a new smart is many months. All these people must like something about the smart. It is such a revolutionary vehicle, one must hope it does great in the US. Maybe it will finally convince people they don't need to drive around by themselves in pickup trucks and suvs. The smart car's success will hopefully be the gateway to many more smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles. Look at all the options consumers in Europe have that we don't get, the smart may convince manufacturers to bring them here.

The smart car is not perfect, but its success may be the tip of the iceberg so to speak to new fuel efficient vehicles. Don't forget the smart fortwo diesel gets around 70 mpg, if it comes to the US would you still scoff at it? It may take the gas version to be a huge success to convince them to bring over the diesel. You have to admit that it is a step in the right direction, maybe not the best solution, but it will hopefully be the start of the fuel efficient revolution in the US. We may not all like the smart car or think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we need it to be successful.
Yes I would. Even at 70mpg it would be pathetic considering that it's a DIESEL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_City

Quote:
Fuel Consumption

The 2005 face-lifted Honda City i-DSI achieved an impressive 26.2 km per liter (61.6 miles per gallon) of fuel consumption during a challenge in June 2007.[3] The challenge requires the vehicle to be occupied by 4 persons (including the driver), air conditioning being switched on and a load of luggage. The whole route stretched more than 660 km that consists of not only highway driving but also hill climbing.
And these are 1.3L - 1.5L PETROL engines.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #19
Registered Member

Yes, the smart may not be the most efficient, but do you agree that if it is a success (which it appears to be) there is a greater chance the US will get more fuel efficient options?

And also, the 70 mpg quote I gave you for the diesel was conservative. Sort of like the epa estimating the gasser at 36 but people consistently get low 40 to mid 50mpg. You should check out vehicle Smartan2 in the garage, they have achieved two tanks at over 100mpg.
Kohote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohote View Post
Yes, the smart may not be the most efficient, but do you agree that if it is a success (which it appears to be) there is a greater chance the US will get more fuel efficient options?

And also, the 70 mpg quote I gave you for the diesel was conservative. Sort of like the epa estimating the gasser at 36 but people consistently get low 40 to mid 50mpg. You should check out vehicle Smartan2 in the garage, they have achieved two tanks at over 100mpg.
There are larger, lighter cars that have achieved over 100mpg too. 100mpg seems like a number a lot of cars can acheive if the circumstances provide for it, not to mention modifications. I'm just annoyed that this low mileage vehicles are getting so much credit. I don't believe the smartfortwo should be the poster child for fuel efficient vehicles. If people knew they could have their cake and eat it, then we'd see a much greater transition to more efficient vehcies. i.e. A midsize sedan that got 50MPG to the gallon, not a kei/micro car that gets 35mpg. The smartfortwo if anything can be used as an tool by GM and even toyota as an argument for the reason why they shouldn't increase the CAFE standards.