Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
*shrug*

I'd buy that if I had the monies.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Battery life is not that much of a concern on a hybrid if the car is driven with any sense at all. ... Battery life was something that people who opposed hybrids used as a way of discouraging people from buying them. As more actual data comes in, battery life is becoming a non-issue.
Agree with Larry as far as the sensible thing goes. DXont leave radio, lights ect on while engine is off. Take care of your battery.

Kinda disagree with battery becoming a no-issue at least economically for a USED car battery. If the original person who started this thread buys a Prius and has to buy a new battery then his sweet deal might become a financial nightmare depending on the cost of new batteries. Remember that we are not talking about $75 auto batteries that you can get at Costoc for even less.

Lastly, people seem to forget the main reason why Priuses, Insights and Honda Fits get such good gas mileage: Its the size of the small 1.2-1.6 L engines that they usually come with. Corollas (NON-hybrid) overseas can get over 60mpg because they come with smaller engines. (same car, smaller engine). Most hybrids come with a small European sized engine mated with an electric engine to boost it up to "American-sized" horsepower and acceleration. Im willing ot bet that you dont NEED the Prius' electric motor and can do fine with just the gas engine itself. Back in the days it was very typical to have cars with under 100hp, even 80hp on economy cars, that got reasonable gas mileage. With all of todays technological advances, we could get double the mpg but have instead focused on getting double the horsepower. Not that the 1st Altima has about 120-130 hp whereas todays Altima has 175hp base and 270 for the 6cyl version which is FORCED on you if you want certain features and upgrades.
With all that said I wouldnt worry too much about the battery in a hybrid unless it REALLY needed batteries juts to even drive. A hybrid running on motor alone should get good mileage, at least, I think

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Given many people's experience with short lifespans for batteries in notebook computers, cordless drills, cell phones, some automobiles etc., don't you think that they had some justification for being skeptical about battery packs in hybrids?
It depends on the app, like ya just said. From what I've read, Toyota and Honda pamper their packs because they were required to have 150k mile warranties on 'em in some states and 100k mile warranties in others. I've also heard the one hybrid to have battery trouble is a M/T Insight, since the driver can really deplete the pack and hurt it's life expectancy.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

hey stanleyD, i agree with you man.

so, functionally, the insight could drive perfectly fine with no battery (maybe a regular 12V to run the electrics)? no modifications needed?

i'm sure the tiny size and aerodynamics of that thing would get 50s-60s mpg easily.

i'm actually so enraged at the car market (government, oil companies, whatever), and at how pathetic our options are. take the '92 VX which can shame the heck out of just about any hybrid on the road today. we probably have the technology to be teleporting ourselves around in nanoseconds. friggin' disgrace. at least we SHOULD be driving fully electric cars.

who gives a damn about clean burning, if you're using more gas!

anyway, yes. it appears to me that the best option is an insight.

do you guys it's worth buying one with such high mileage (like 120Kish)?
seems like a lot.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
*shrug*

For a well-built car, 120k isn't much. I'd say go for it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

just talked to the seller. bosnian guy, sounded pretty cool.
bit more than i want to spend, bit more mileage than i'd like on my next car, and the color is a little flagrant.

will give it some thought.

thanks fellas.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

How about a Honda CRX HF? They get great mileage too!
70DIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70DIMER View Post
How about a Honda CRX HF? They get great mileage too!
i guess if i could find one in good clean shape, sure. those suckers are OLD now though, right? 80s?

you have one for sale?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #19
Supporting Member

I think that if you are looking to spend less than $5K the Insight is out of the question, as is the Prius. I would go for a VX and start looking countrywide for one. if I am not mistaken one of the Gassaver members in Florida just flew to Atlanta to get a pristine VX with only 97K on it for $3200. So, they are still around and definitely worth the money.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
There is one selling for $2600 with only 288,000 miles on it on craigslist.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/car/422402007.html

Nice VX there ^^ amazing so many miles! I say don't judge by that alone.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote