2007 Lifan LF200GY-5 Review - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Registered Member

American Lifan

I just have to respond to this post regarding American Lifan and Chinese Lifan. Do you think that in China that they would have an assembly line for the American bikes and a different one for the Chinese ones? I don't think so! I have done alot of research lately regarding this and I found one post in yahoo that really needs to be read. I contacted the place in Texas and they had a Texas dealer contact me to sell me a bike. All they can do is bad mouth the CA dealers and all with no proof that the CA dealers are doing anything wrong. I hate it when people open their mouth when they have no facts to back it up. From what I am finding they are all Lifan bikes made in China. Plain and simple. This is not to dish you in any way so please don;t think I was doing that. I was not impressed with American Lifan in Texas at all. Just wanted to make my point.

mxer149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Registered Member

So, who stocks parts?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #13

The main reason I say go with the Texas based company is that they actually have parts and you can get any part to fix the bike from them. There are a few California based places that stock parts but they are a lot of times a single person type company so when that person gets tired of dealing with them then your parts supply goes with them. With the texas company they might not be the best company in the world to deal with but they are reasonably well established and you know they will most likely be around for a while so you will always be able to get parts.

But really it all depends on what you want. If you just plan on running the guts out of it till it dies then junk it, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. Whichever one you get it from you will have fun on it, for the price there really isn't anything else that can beat them that is new.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #14

I just found the site and saw this thread. I have one of the American Lifan bikes too. It is the older model GY2, but almost the same.

I have been getting about 70mpg. You need to remember the odo is in KM and I believe the specs are not perfect and a 100km to the gallon is probably close.

If you all what more info on these bikes look up www.chinariders.net and do some research.

I have 4200 miles on mine and lots of smiles. Also recomment Brian at motoxtreme.net also as he is an upstanding seller.

Allen
katoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Registered Member

I got one of these about half a year ago and with a little playing around with the carb i've gotten it to hit 132 kph (82 mph) out in a field at only half throttle in 5th gear...havent hit full speed yet as the fields are too short but if your looking for some more speed for highway use i recomend tuning the carb
kaptainkodeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

I clicked the first link posted and couldnt find the Gy-5. Can somebody post the link to the exact place where i could order the American Lifan Gy-5.
02JTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Registered Member

There's been great controversy surrounding American Lifan in recent years. From what I've read (about a year ago anyway) there's relatively ZERO dealer support, parts are knock offs of the Honda XR200's and **almost** always work as good replacements. The big controversy comes from whether the engine is stamped with certain codes or not, apparently some combinations of numbers and letters verifies it's an original American Lifan, but slight variations are misleading and are inequivalent fakes. The 200cc American Lifans were reliable and just better built compared to the knockoffs.

I'm not sure where to get a real, genuine, certified DOT American Lifan bike though.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote