Does anyone here ride an SV650S? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-22-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak View Post
My thought would be to go with the Versys since it has a 5 gal tank. From what I see, the more ability to store fuel, the better of you'll be. However, that being said, I don't think I fit on a Versys cause way taller than a 650R.
I rode one just fine with a 29" inseam. It's not a heavy bike. I don't touch flat-foot on anything but cruisers, and I find if you watch where you're stopping and pay attention to where you put you're feet, it's not a problem.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak View Post
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has a Suzuki SV650S 2003+. I'm looking into getting one and replacing my Ninja 250. Granted I'm going away from fuel miser and going to a torque monster - I just don't know what kind of mileage penalty I'll be getting.

-SDF
My kid has an '01 Suzuki SV650 without the nose fairing. Excellent bike. Had I known, I would have gotten one instead of a couple of BMWs I use. Has equivalent acceleration to the BMW R1100RSL oilhead boxer, but weighs ~140 lbs. less than the Bimmer. SV650 is vastly more agile and easier to ride. Cheap to keep. Runs on regular. Carburated, it's simple as dirt. Granted, electronic fuel injection on the Bimmer is technologically more advanced, but sooner or later I'll have to pay big bucks to maintain/repair that technology, vs. simple carb adjustments on the Suzuki. Later SV bikes got fuel injection, so you have a choice.

Last summer we took several bike trips, cruising at ~75-85 mph over the mountains and across high plains. Both bikes got ~50-51 mpg at this speed, but the Suzuki did so without benefit of a fairing or any attempt to streamline the sleeping bag and other bulky crap he carried, hanging out in the slipstream. (I arranged my stuff in an nice teardrop shape on the back seat, so got a bit of a backrest out of it, too. My bike has a Cee Bailley screen, not perfect but gives pretty good streamlining of the rider's upper body.)

I'm very tempted to sell one or both Bimmers and get a Suzuki SV650S or SV1000S. If so, I'll mod the fairing to a truncated airfoil shape, with streamlined windscreen and lower engine cover, better front fender, etc.. Dollars to doughnuts, such a bike would top 60 mpg cruising at 80. Probably put a belt drive on, too.

PS: The Suzuki weakness is a small fuel tank and no fuel gauge. Remedy is careful monitoring of fuel vs. odometer reading (accurate odometer, btw). Aux. fuel bladders are a possibility. Somebody on AdventureRider has successfully used a Starbucks 3 quart coffee box liner, made of Mylar. Weighs nothing, and is free if you sweet talk the barrista. I got one, but have not tried it yet, but may make a protective envelope of rubberized ballistic nylon.

GasSavers_Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

Small fuel tank? 4.3 gals. There is no fuel gauge, but there is a 2 stage low fuel light.

I have an 01 SV650 as well.

Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #14
Registered Member

Nate, how did the SV do in mileage compared to the 250 that I think you had?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

I've only had this SV for a couple weeks, haven't really filled it up yet. My last SV would get 40-50 on the street depending on how hard I rode. My 250 would get 60-70.

Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

Please put your SV in the garage...

-SDF
smalldisplacementfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
Registered Member

00' SV650n

I own a 00'SV650, get roughly 47-50mpg not paying attention to where your hand moves the throttle. Posted it in the garage...Lil Suzi. Run a Two Bros. full system and bikini fairing. I commute at roughly 75-80mph, so I haven't been really trying to save fuel, but now I'm going to make an honest effort to squeeze the miles out of every drop.
GasSavers_Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
Registered Member

I just picked up an 07 SV650 naked. I have been getting 56 MPG consistently, but my commute is all Highway.
Very nice bike.
GasSavers_danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

How does the wind effect you?

smalldisplacementfreak is offline   Reply With Quote