Farthest mileage between fill-ups? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Farthest mileage between fill-ups?

Ia there a way to sort/rank the motorcycles by distance between fill-ups?

I'm interested as I'm moving home and my commute will be twice as far, so I'd be selling my Vespa GTS300 for something with a larger tank range. I was looking at getting a Honda NC750X as the MPG is high, however most users seem to be getting around 180-220 a tank and ideally I'm after something nearer 300 miles (or more!) as I'll be covering 100 miles a day.

ElectroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
E1
Registered Member

Fuelly sorting? Not that I'm aware of.

Did you get

What's your average speed over the 100 miles (time to distance)? If it's below about 40 MPH I'd think an engine size of 600cc or lower would be suited best for the acceleration and braking your route dictates. If avg is above 45 MPH, bikes of 700 - 950cc seem to be more suited, efficient at high momentum. Then it's just a matter of finding one with the tank capacity to get you round-trip over 230 miles.

I know of many bikes in the U.S. that could do your route with ease. In fact, I have two of them in my garage, Ninja ZX-9Rs. Problem being, that the variants of each one like those U.S. over in the U.K. do as poorly as half the tank range. It's unclear why.

E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

A Ninja ZX-9R, here in the UK, would probably be thrashed mercilessly. We don't have miles of straight highway but loads of twisty undulating two lane, where a sports bike allows you to overtake cars and trucks with impunity.
In the UK there is not a lot of point in having a sports bike unless you use it as it was designed. Also accounts for the high death rate of motorcyclists, here in the UK, many of whom are born again bikers with powerful sports bikes! The death rate for motorcyclists in the UK is 57 times that for car drivers.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yea over here, the weather conditions mean that these are fair weather weekend toys only, they are not used for commuting every day, so are hammered accordingly. Similar to why I get poor mileage in my vehicles, my commute to work is less than a minute long, so my cars are for weekend fun only!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

I used to commute every day, summer and winter, with my bike, but I used a nice comfortable plodder, not a sports bike. Now I am turned 70, I miss those days (but not the cold and rain!).
Old 02-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroDan View Post
Ia there a way to sort/rank the motorcycles by distance between fill-ups?

I'm interested as I'm moving home and my commute will be twice as far, so I'd be selling my Vespa GTS300 for something with a larger tank range. I was looking at getting a Honda NC750X as the MPG is high, however most users seem to be getting around 180-220 a tank and ideally I'm after something nearer 300 miles (or more!) as I'll be covering 100 miles a day.

I can squeeze well over 400 miles on one tank - R1200RT BMW (even under "normal" conditions I'm well into the 300's)
Bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
LDB
Registered Member

The Honda Silverwing 600 has a 4.2 gallon tank and can get 50mpg with careful riding. If you are clever you could probably rig another tank in the underseat trunk to about double the fuel capacity and easily surpass 300 miles range with generous reserve. Similar to the Vespa you are used to but with more power and speed if needed too.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox View Post
I can squeeze well over 400 miles on one tank - R1200RT BMW (even under "normal" conditions I'm well into the 300's)
A brilliant cruiser. Never owned one, but loved the one I tried.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
E1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
A Ninja ZX-9R, here in the UK, would probably be thrashed mercilessly. We don't have miles of straight highway but loads of twisty undulating two lane, where a sports bike allows you to overtake cars and trucks with impunity.
In the UK there is not a lot of point in having a sports bike unless you use it as it was designed. Also accounts for the high death rate of motorcyclists, here in the UK...
For those unfamiliar, the U.K. version is the ZX-9R B/C/E/F, a numberal, and ending in P. I think the P was to designate that the carburetors had cooling system heated pipes to prevent 'carb icing.' Why they only experience CI and nowhere else, I haven't a clue.

You are correct about the U.K. rider assessment. From what I've read, U.K. riders, not all, but many, are a little crazy in their riding habits. Between road congestion and aggressive riding, it correspondingly translates poor MPG returns, but satisfied riders. Not the ideal match for the OP.

2000 ZX-9R E1p review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24d3UQJxARg
Old 02-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
E1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox View Post
I know those big 1200s in the right hands could perform. Had a buddy with with the R1300RT. His only gripe was that it was governed at 135 MPH max. Another with a R1200GS ADV was one of my regular riding buddies. As you can see, he liked to give it the beans. Both loved their bikes and would take them with our sportbikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T8WkT5k0a0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQB6RXbTZoI