Has anyone tried those things that are supposed to trip traffic sensors @ red lights? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow Has anyone tried those things that are supposed to trip traffic sensors @ red lights?

Today I had to wait for 2 cycles of a light for a car to pull up in the turn lane next to me before a light would change. I could see where the traffic sensor was in the road, and I was dead square on top of it, but the light didn't change for me. Anyone tried these things, and do they work?

Thanks, Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

I believe that it is just a big magnet that bolts to the bottom of the engine block and helps trip the sensors. Supposedly, many of the pavement sensors work by sensing a hunk of iron above them (maybe they sense the change in magnetic field like a big metal detector) and many motorcycles just don't have enough iron to trip some of them (there were a couple in my my city that always gave me problems).

A couple of years ago, I stopped by the county sheriff's office and politely explained my problem. Since many of the officers rode bikes too they were aware of the problem and told me to wait a little while and if the light didn't change, I could look both ways and proceed (go) even if the light was still red.

They were reasonable and acknowledged that some signals were faulty- and gave a way to work around them. Hopefully your local police will do the same if you stop by and chat with them nicely.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

After talking to a few friends, and reading a Wiki article on the subject, I'm going to build my own with two of these:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-X-1/8//1.html
Quote:
Our largest, most powerful neodymium magnet. 2.98" x 0.56" x 0.16". Matte, plated finish.
and I'm going to enclose them in this box, which I will attach to the bottom of the bike:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-X-0.8//1.html

Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Bicyclists have the same problem but much more severely. Many lights around here have a bicycle painted on the pavement in a spot where the sensor is most sensitive. Bicyclists also have the advantage that they can lay the bike down to put more metal closer to the road, although that may only work for steel-framed bikes.

I believe the inductive loop technology that they use is similar to a metal detector, FWIW.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

I read a few possibilities in the Wiki article. One of the things they mentioned was to put a magnet salvaged from a junked hard drive in the heel of your boot, and when you stop, put your heel right down on the induction loop. I decided to put magnets on the bottom of the bike though.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Magboots FTW!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, but I can't just turn the camera sideways...

Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

try going smack in the middle of the loop instead of on the edge.

(like the ol magnet in the coil of wire induces a voltage, doesnt work when you rest the magnet outside the loop)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

All the lights here use the dual loop (where 2 wires are buried in the center of the box) and I've tried to line up right in the center each time, but this time the light didn't change.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

I always park it right on the induction wire and never seem to have a problem. The Buell does have that big exhaust can hanging four inches from the pavement though.
With the Triumph I would shut it off and restart it, somebody said somewhere that energizing the starter sets the loop off. Although it seemed to work, I'm not sure about it.

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote