Hyosung GV250 Aquila Review - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #1

Hyosung GV250 Aquila Review

the Hyosung GV250 Aquila

Trust me the picture doesn't do the bike justice. The fit and finish on the bike is outstanding. It has a pretty surprising amount of power, 26.82 HP (19.6 kW)) @ 9200 RPM. It can handle very well due to the exhaust and stuff being tucked up out of the way so the first thing dragging on the ground in a curve is your heel. A friend of mine has purchased this bike 2 weeks ago and has been running the wheels off it. Already has 650 miles on it. She got interested in it because I was planning on eventually getting the GV650 from that company so when I stopped at the dealership to let her see the bike she saw the 250 sitting there and loved it. $3400 was what she ended up paying for it total, not that bad of a deal but it can be had cheaper if you are willing to shop around.

The bike comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage full warranty. As far as I know no other manufacturer is even close to that. We went for a ride today of about 100 miles on 4 lane roads and the bike is really fast for a 250. At a stop light my DR650 is about 3/4 throttle to stay even with it. The DR isn't that fast of a bike but it can't run away and leave the little 250 like you would figure it should be able to. It can totally blow away the Lifan from a stop and it is a 200cc. The top speed of the GV250 is probably a tiny bit over 90mph stock. It runs at 70mph without much effort, going up hills that my Metro is at wide open in 4th, it pulls them in 5th at 3/4 throttle without losing speed. It has consistently been getting 10-12mpg better than my DR when we have been riding together(normal riding, no hypermiliing). It has a 4 gallon tank so it can actually go pretty far between fillups. I think the lowest tank to date was an interstate highway run at 75-85 constant speed and it got 60mpg. Going slow in it I have no idea what it's mileage is but it is probably very good.

It takes a bit of getting used to a bike with a 12k rpm redline that cruises at 7500rpm at 65mph but once you get over the idea that you are revving the guts out of it and actually let the bike go then it gets real smooth and comfy. It really doesn't like going under 3000rpms. The engine is perfectly smooth revving it and shifting at 12k if you want to go fast. I would say for a commuter bike if the gearing was adjusted so the engine was at the start of it's power ~3500rpm at your normal cruising speed it could easily pick up 10mpg. I think the bike has a the potential to beat pretty much any other 2-300cc bike if someone was to go for max mileage on it. She is a new rider so some of the bad mileage is from lack of experience riding by slowing a lot for curves then going wide open to catch back up to the group. The bike's lifetime average should be at least 65mpg even though she has not been keeping track of it as well as I would have liked to get a real number and not just a good guess.

Overall I am really impressed with what Hyosung is selling, even though they are a new name they are not new to motorcycles. They are celebrating their 30th anniversary this year. They have made a lot of bikes for Suzuki and others in the past but now they are trying to make a go of it on their own. They have a decent line up of bikes and after seeing the 250 in action I will probably be buying a 650 this spring or maybe this fall if they give me a good deal on a clearance 07 model. The 08 models coming out after January will be fuel injected so that might give it even better mileage. I have no details of what type of fuel injection they are using so as of now it is all just guesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyosung GV 250 Aquila.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	797  

CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

One of the guys I work with purchased a Hyosung cruiser. He is really happy with the bike, his first bike, except for the fact the speedometer is in Kilometers.

GasSavers_Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
QDM
Registered Member

I have a Lifan dual sport. The speedo is in mph and the odometer is in km.

China is making great strides in quality. I expect they will be major players in the US motorcycle market within the next 5 years, and in the car market in the next 10 years.

I find the riding position on cruiser bikes to be uncomfortable but I guess they are comfortable for some people.

BTW the first gas mileage check on my 200cc Lifan dual sport was 82 mpg.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Hyosung is Korean. Not a fan of cruisers, but very interested in their sport bike 250.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Hyosung is Korean. Not a fan of cruisers, but very interested in their sport bike 250.
Get the new 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250r if you want a 250 sport bike. They totally redsigned it for 08. And the old 250's are pretty bullet proof.

And they go over 100mph easily.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123 View Post
Get the new 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250r if you want a 250 sport bike. They totally redsigned it for 08. And the old 250's are pretty bullet proof.

And they go over 100mph easily.
What's the price point? The Korean bikes are cheap, cheap, cheap!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #7

The Hyosung sport 250 feels way faster and is a much better feel than the Ninja. The Hyosung 250 is using the 650 frame I think so that is probably why it feels like a much bigger bike. They are comparable in price. The Korean stuff isn't cheaper than the Japanese stuff so really it just comes down to a matter of preference. I would say in a few more years Hyosung will be another one of the normal bike companies in the US.

If you get the ones branded United Motors they have a 3 year engine warranty included. I am impressed way more with the Hyosung offerings than I am with the Chinese made Lifan but you could get 2 lifan bikes for the price of the Hyo. I actually like the Hyosung more than I like the Virago or Rebel, it seems better built and more solid with a way better feel on the highway. Driving it you really don't think of it as a small cc bike. She has let people test ride it and they guess it is a 4-500cc bike the way it feels and runs, everyone is totally amazed it is a 250.

I asked her and she did say the speedometer being mainly in Km is annoying since the miles are the smaller number on the inside ring of the gauge. The odometer is in Km. I guess I could talk her into mounting a bicycle speedo to it but I bet she won't go for it since it isn't chrome
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

what a piece of crap,try any japanese bike an you see the diference
carlos xudiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

O rly nub?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Or better yet try a Triumph, BMW, Aprillia or KTM. Jap bikes don't even compare.

My KTM 640 got 54mpg, top speed at 105mph, wicked on the trails, spanked DR650's and could jump like motocross bike. With a taller gear I'm sure 65mpg would be no problem. But wheelies are too much fun!

Sorry, I have to agree that hyo????? is junk. They have a 2 year warranty and that's all it will last. But, at least they got a bike. Have fun, be carefull.

Look at old jap bikes at 30k miles with no rebuild. BMW / Triumphs at 60-80K with no rebuild.

$3400 could buy you BMW F650.