I bought the Harley today!!! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Sorry, I'm not up on all of the lingo yet... Just got my motorcycle liscence a week ago. Are you asking if its loud? If so the answer is definately yes.

I bought a pair of Tourmaster Air Venture pants. They're mesh pants with body armor in the knees and hips. They have 2 removable linings. windproof/waterproof, and thermal.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...ventureairpant

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member

I was suggesting a name!

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Aaaah! That makes sense now...

Old 06-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #24
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I got to ride for the first time today... The store opens an hour later (8am) on Sat, and there is very little traffic this early on a weekend. I got up at my regular time, as if I was driving to work at 6:45, but instead I rode my bike to an empty shopping plaza 1/2 mile away to get acquainted with the clutch, brake, and throttle response. After lapping the parking lot for 20 minutes I ventured out on some more neighborhood streets (25 MPH with 4 way stop signs), then went out onto Sterling Blvd (35 MPH, 4 lanes with grass median strip, and traffic lights every 1/4 mile.) I rode up and down that road a few times, then decided that I was going to be late to work, so I ventured out on Rt 7 for 2 blocks, got up to 50 MPH, then turned into the parking lot @ work. I ended up there 20 minutes early, so I had plenty of time to change into my work clothes, and apply fresh hair gel... I LOVED IT!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Sorry, I'm not up on all of the lingo yet... Just got my motorcycle liscence a week ago. Are you asking if its loud? If so the answer is definately yes.
That was one of the cool things about my old Gold Wing...it was so quiet I could sneak up on people...the only thing loud about it was the horn...it was actually almost adequate!

Where I work there are several Harley riders. At work, we are very emphatic about using PPE, and our hearing is tested annually. (My hearing seems to have diminished slightly in the female voice range...) Yet, they have probably the loudest pipes available (straight pipe?) on their bikes. I have to wonder, if they do much riding, how much those pipes might skew their hearing tests? (I wonder this because when I was riding, I could easily put 20k miles a year on a bike...especially when gas was expensive or you had to stand in line to purchase it...)

As for a name...I'm kinda partial to "The Bike", or "The Harley". Or, it could be "The Little Red Hooptie". Or, there was the name that old Indian riders gave them, and was often used during the dark, dismal days when Harley was owned by AMF: "Hardly Ableson".

Have fun!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
Site Team / Moderator

I was at a flea market today, and picked up a set of new leather saddle bags for $60.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
That was one of the cool things about my old Gold Wing...it was so quiet I could sneak up on people...
You can sneak up on people with anything, just use the killswitch
Anyway, the loudest thing about our bikes is the wind. I usually use earplugs for longer trips on open road. We just bought a new helmet (a Lazer Dayton) for my girlfriend though, and she says it's much quieter inside than with the previous one (an AGV, I don't remember the model...). I probably should get a replacement too...
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #28
Site Team / Moderator

I noticed, now that I'm better about finessing the throttle, that I can keep it relatively quiet unless I want it to be loud. I really don't want to be loud though. If I shift up through the gears quickly it is relatively quiet. I can be in 6th gear without lugging if I'm going at least 35 MPH. From where I sit its not that loud, but then again I really haven't had it up to highway speeds yet either. I just don't like the idea of ear plugs.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Just had my first fillup. The low fuel light came on at 1/4 tank, so I filled up. My mileage on my first full tank is 40.29 MPG, and that is including us getting stuck in stop & go traffic the day it was picked up, and me playing in an empty parking lot for an hour getting used to the clutch, brake, and throttle response. I am very optimistic that I can do much better in my daily usage because I won't be playing in parking lots anymore.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #30
Site Team / Moderator

Helmet mounted brake light just arrived in the big, brown truck!
http://www.facebook.com/v/396448317293