mods for better mpg - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
Different tire rubber/silica/material compound does not effect the contact patch size?
Well, the stiffness of the sidewall could have a small effect on contact patch...but not much.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #32
Registered Member

"The motorcycle tire will have to do a lot more flexing and deforming to make that contact patch, which would increase rolling resistance."

I think you are correct and IMHO chances are good the car tire has lower rr than the bike tire.

Bikes really don't coast well at all and I think it goes beyond the low weight and awful aero.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
Registered Member

I wonder how much of a difference the tire material would have in contact patch and rolling resistance.. would car tire have more rolling resistance because of thicker tread/stiffer carcas?
Seem to me unlikely that a Valkyrie would get better fuel efficiency with a car rear tire vs moto rear tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Tell me the weight on the tire and the pressure in the tire, I'll tell you the contact patch. I don't need to know the tire size.
Your statement seems to imply that no matter what size of tire, given the same weight carried on the tire and same air pressure in the tire, the contact patches would be the same on different tires... which seems to me grossly incorrect.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
I wonder how much of a difference the tire material would have in contact patch and rolling resistance.. would car tire have more rolling resistance because of thicker tread/stiffer carcas?
Seem to me unlikely that a Valkyrie would get better fuel efficiency with a car rear tire vs moto rear tire.
I don't know which tire would have less rolling resistance. The motorcycle tire may have to do more flexing because of its round profile, while the car tire may have thicker sidewalls.

How does one corner effectively when using a car tire on a motorcycle?

Quote:
Your statement seems to imply that no matter what size of tire, given the same weight carried on the tire and same air pressure in the tire, the contact patches would be the same on different tires... which seems to me grossly incorrect.
The size would be the same. The shape would change.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #35
Registered Member

as long as you are talking tires, I will join in, and hopefuly learn something. I can tell you this, the altima is one of the lightest tires out there, so I don't think there was any difference weight wise. definitely more tread on the ground, wouldn't probably work on a sport bike, but on a cruiser, you run out of clearance before you run out of tread. leaned all the way over, I still have about an inch of tread to spare. less tread on the ground leaned over of course, but still more than a motorcycle tire. don't think I gained any mpg with the car tire, but didn't lose any either. friend of mine went with a 65 series tire, and seems to be getting better mpg, possibly gearing? motorcycle tread compound is actually harder than a car tire, so much better traction with car tire. my motorcycle tires were wearing out between 5 and 6 thousand miles. at 200.00 a piece, it was getting kind of spendy. the car tire cost 100.00, and should last at least 20,000 miles. after trying both, the car tire is the more comfortable ride. currently running 36 psi. they call this riding on the darkside, if you want to google it.
mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

Sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of your bike with car tires on it?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
Registered Member

sorry, I have no pictures with the car tire. I would have to get my daughter or son in law to take a picture with their phone, and see if they could figure out how to post them.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #38
Registered Member

I wrote up detailed instructions for posting pictures. The writeup is on another forum; don't mind the rowdy, bawdy crowd there...
http://allofftopic.com/showthread.php?t=269
Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #39
Registered Member

thanks, when my kids get back in town I will use their phone for a camera, and give it a try
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
Registered Member

Funny, greeted kinda poorly...left the forum...and now the discussion gets informative ;-)

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote