mods for better mpg - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
I average 45 mpg most of the time. the key is to keep her under 3,000 rpm. since most of my riding is mountain roads, and keep it under 60 mph. 55 mph is 2500 rpm. the valk has so much bottom end torque, you can cruise through town in 5th gear, and it will pull strongly right off idle, I seldom have a need to rev it over 3,000 rpm.if you have a need for speed however, you will pay for it at the pump.
My bike will buck if it gets any lower then about 2500 with it in gear. Its just a lot different kink if motorcycle. I think that it is great that you can get that mileage. I have a friend who has a Suzuki gs500 and he gets like 63 but 45 on yours is amazing.

Id like to get something like a ninja 250 and areomod the thing. Like enclose the front wheel and make fairings that would be aerodynamic. If money is ever available I might try something like that.

Michael

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #62
Registered Member

I really believe aerodynamics is the key to good mpg on a motorcycle. the trouble is finding any credible information on making simple mods, other than a full bubble fairing. I love the looks of the valk, and don't want to compromise that look. one problem is making a motorcycle more aerodynamic without adversely effecting handling and stability. removing mirrors is not an option, since that is a safety issue. I am also not looking for the majic bullet that will increase mpg by a large amount. I believe good mpg comes in baby steps. a small gain is still a gain

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #63
Registered Member

You need to study the work of Craig Vetter then. He has been involved with advanced motorcycle aerodynamics for decades and is currently building a street streamliner.

The worst aero part of bikes is from the windshield on back. Some sort of boattail looking saddlebags and trunk/aft bodywork are needed.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #64
Registered Member

I have wondered about this, since the interstate model comes with a bag on the rear , and seems to get better mileage than the regular valk. I have a friend who added a bag to his regular valk. I will ask him if he noticed an improvement
Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #65
Registered Member

I hope your friend kept good records! Otherwise it might be hard to know for sure.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #66
Registered Member

I also posted it on one of the valkyrie forums. found trunks on ebay for under 100.00. if nothing else, it gives me a place to store a helmet
Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #67
Registered Member

First off, for safety, adjust your shocks for the weight u are carrying. lowering
the shocks do nothing for mpg. too lite of a setting could cause one to lose control and /or causing excessive tire wear and lower mpg from the wheel bouncing up and down too much.
I have a 98 std upgraded to tourer, since '00.
the stock thermostat is a high flow unit, starts to open at approx 180f and fully open at 203f. The stock thermo is best. Suggest u get the factory technical manual.
45 avg mpg at 55mph is normal for a stock bike and approx 32-33 mpg at 65mph/3000rpm. U lose about 1-2 mpg with the oem shield. A smaller shield such as memphis shades hellcat properly adjusted will allow a slight increase. The human body is terrible for aerodynamics.
I will avg 37 to 40 mpg at 65-70 mph going to work stop and go traffic. I've seen 50-60 mpg straight hwy. It takes a basic understanding of engines and tunning to make the Valkyrie better. from the oem there are a lot of compromises to max their profits, just like dodge did for my dakota (presently 5 mpg above epa, better tires should get me another 2-3 mpg). This means they are not getting the best mpg. Depending how $$$ u want to depart with I can let u know what works and what doesn't.
By the way, I've been perusing this site for 2 yrs now, and there is some good things and info and some really, really bad info on this site.
The valkyrie engine is designed for mpg if its set up properly.
www.valkyrieriders.com this is where I've posted for yrs.
CA ExhaustCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #68
Registered Member

it,s nice to find a valk rider who appreciates good mpg. usually I get the "get a different bike" response when I mention better mpg to other riders. I run my rear shocks on the #2 setting, I weight 180 lbs, and my wife weighs 110 lbs. I also run evans waterless coolant, which allows for higher temps. lately I have been getting in the high 40's running 55- 60 mph. I would love to hear what mods work for mileage.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
it,s nice to find a valk rider who appreciates good mpg. usually I get the "get a different bike" response when I mention better mpg to other riders. I run my rear shocks on the #2 setting, I weight 180 lbs, and my wife weighs 110 lbs. I also run evans waterless coolant, which allows for higher temps. lately I have been getting in the high 40's running 55- 60 mph. I would love to hear what mods work for mileage.
#2 setting is most likely to low for the weight. I run 2 and I'm 200 with gear on. Be careful.
I use evans, very familiar. What brand thermo are u using? Only stant is avail in my area and its low flow compared to stock. Thinking about doing a partial rad block esp during cooler temps.
what yr is your bike, and is it a ca. or 49 state model? there is a difference in the cams. one type is better for mpg per specs.
stock the bike doesn't have enough advance at hwy speeds. stock exhaust does not have a collector, its straight pipes.
k&n lets in too much dirt. The stock filter with the wire mesh screen removed will flow more than enough air.
I run the Trigger wheel modified 6 degrees and dyna ignition for addtional 10 degrees at hwy speeds with a glass pack exhaust using a 3 into 1 collector.
CA ExhaustCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #70
Registered Member

I am running my own home built design exhaust system, basicly a 6 into 2, with a crossover tube. my valk is a 98 calif. tourer, desmogged, and fed. heads and cams installed. also threaded the intakes, and added grooves to the combustion chambers. I will try the shocks set at #3 and see how that feels.I don't remember the brand of thermostat, bought it at napa. I have tried more ignition advance, but had problems with pinging.