mods for better mpg - Page 11 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #101
Registered Member

85mpg on my F650gs

I'm not sure about how effective those modifications would be. Personally I would recommend trying XFT before you go through the hassle. I use to get around 65 mpg on my bike. now I get 85. no super modifications needed. I suppose it could get even better if I could remember to make a point of it while riding.

magua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #102
Registered Member

Freight trains can move a ton of freight 400 miles on a gallon of fuel.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #103
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
thanks again,going to the motorcycle forums and even mentioning mpg usually gets me the ''who cares about mpg, ride it like you stole it" OR "if you want better mpg, buy a moped" responses, so getting a straight answer is kind of refreshing
I joined for the same reason. You can imagine what my fellow Harley VRodders say when I ask about fuel efficiency mods.
LTBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #104
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way, there are many here hypermiling with non-conventional vehicles not known for mileage. For example, my primary vehicle is a V-8 4x4 pickup truck that I can get the EPA highway rating driving in city traffic. Holy Cow also has a 4wd pickup that he hypermiles with as well. Phillip hypermiles with a stationwagon. This is a great site for information on hypermiling with vehicles that people don't usually hypermile. Other sites generally have the attitude that if you're not hypermiling a Prius or a Geo Metro then you're wasting their time.

-Jay
I like to hyper mile muscle cars and power cruisers.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #105
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
We'll see in a few years
Oh, I forgot this post from 3 years ago... well, after that 3 years I saw the ill effect, a busted clutch dropout bearing. On a bike with about 111,000km by then. Most riders will never see such mileage, so I don't see it too worrying

The next thing I'm curious is the longevity of the second set of clutch plates. They're fine now and already older than the ones I got replaced in the times I still used engine braking (71,000km vs 46,000 on the first set).

Then the life of the new dropout bearing
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBrink View Post
I like to hyper mile muscle cars and power cruisers.
And I hypermile a 650cc single. Not a power cruiser, but not a usual tool for the task either. But she's not too bad at FE, and much fun too.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #107
Site Team / Moderator

I tried to hypermile my Harley Super Glide for a period of time, but just gave up. Seems to get the same mileage, no matter what I do, unless I lug it in 6th gear going 45 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTBrink View Post
I joined for the same reason. You can imagine what my fellow Harley VRodders say when I ask about fuel efficiency mods.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #108
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I tried to hypermile my Harley Super Glide for a period of time, but just gave up. Seems to get the same mileage, no matter what I do, unless I lug it in 6th gear going 45 MPH.
What about the 'common sense' part? Don't over-accelerate just to brake later, heed speed limits, try to time lights, avoid braking, coast when you have to slow down? I don't believe they don't have any effect

(This is the subset I use in bad weather and some long trips, when I just don't want to play with things like P&G and FAS)

And I noticed that (on a large, manual transmission bike) the 'eggshell approach' is just contra-productive. It always gives me worse FE than twisting that throttle well to accelerate. Then I shift early - but I can't rule it out that even this is unnecessary.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #109
Site Team / Moderator

I do shift early, and try to coast to stops, but I have several things standing in my way. #1. harley's published mileage for my model states "with 180 lb rider in laboratory conditions". I'm about 240lb, I don't ride in a lab, I can't find ethanol free premium, and the previous owner put a performance intake, performance exhaust, and a performance tune on it. I feel lucky to average 40-45 MPG.

And yes, you're right. being really soft on the throttle does seem to result in worse mileage than just getting the acceleration over with.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #110
Registered Member

I know how you feel. I have a Harley V-Rod and get the same responses as you as to fuel efficiency. I bought the V-rod because I see the potential of having a bike that gets better fuel economy than a civic and still be faster than a Corvette.