motorcycle tire psi - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

motorcycle tire psi

i did a search and could not find the answer. would it be feasible to over inflate the tires on a motorcycle? i got a honda shadow vlx 600. thanks.

light-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
QDM
Registered Member

Not a good idea to over inflate motorcycle tires. It can have a huge effect on handling.

Q (former motorcycle mechanic)

QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

I read once to just try inflating tires +2psi a week and see how it affects handling, but that was for a car. I think if you were going to try inflating the tires, it would be best to do it over time on a motorcycle instead of just jumping 10 or 15
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

I wouldn't recomend it from a safety standpoint. Increasing tire pressres on a bike will make it more prone to skidding even in low-speed braking situations and cornering, eats up tires like crazy which is false economy.

The better approach may be to go to the next narrower tire that is available for your rim size, then running normal, or sightly higher pressures. While this will narrow your contact patch just like running high pressures, you'll lower your rolling resistence without loss of flex in the tire carcass.

Most modern bikes are carrying way too much tire, particularly in the rear.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
there are a number of tires out there that are sold as low rolling resistance, and are normaly highway tires, or touring tires with silica rubber tred.
I have my tires at max psi, but I don't go fast, and I only have a 200 pound motorcycle, and it doesn't seem to have any negative affect, but on a cycle I would never go over the max presure no matter what, other then seating the bead.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Just another user, pleading against you over-inflating your motorcycle tire!

The tire distorting is paramount to you staying on the bike during any sort of turn. Although it does hurt mileage somewhat, my tires are under-inflated for safety reasons.

Is your bike shaft driven? If not, the biggest gains you can get easily are by lowering the sprocket ratio.
edenstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
There is a range of pressure for "big" bikes that is acceptable but running excessive pressure for the sake of mileage is going to cost you your life at some point in a traction / braking situation and is not worth it. You only have two tires and two very small contact patches - don't mess with them. If you have ever locked up a front tire like I have a couple of times you would understand what I am talking about . . . you don't fall down . . . you get slammed down . . . and you break things inside your body.

You are much better off reducing friction with special lubricants and working on air drag and a leaner mixture makes a big difference too.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote