Motorcycling 2013 - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Registered Member

Thanks! We're going on another trip tomorrow, then stay home (and work, etc) for a while.

Now that I (proof)read it (you can always do it best after posting), I see a bunch of mistakes. So much for writing ride reports at night...

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
Registered Member

I'd b really interested n c n what an aero front end & higher ratio sprocket chg. would do 4 that BMW 650 , it should b able 2 handle d higher ratio wid ease !

Rider of d storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Registered Member

Unfortunately higher ratio is very unlikely as the 'CS is belt driven. Slightly taller 5th would probably do good on the long 90km/h (56mph) stretches, it definitely helped the GV250! OTOH, I couldn't use 4th at 50km/h (speed limit in towns), so I'd most probably lose some FE there - or I'd have to always P&G.

Aero front end? I don't plan on building something like that (I like Teresa this slim and nimble), but should help too, yes.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Registered Member

I know what u mean about change n gear ratio , the 800 boulevard I had b4 I got my 250 virago , wuz shaft drive which is nice , but it wuz geared so low I used 1st, 3rd, & 5th all by 35 mph . It got low 60 mpgs Till I gutted pipes , it dropped 2 mid 50mpgs . I think that bike would hav had a lot higher mpg wid a higher ratio. It wuz a great bike , I put 72,000 miles on it from 07 to 2012 , & never bin n d shop , just crank & ride . I sold it & bought d virago which is not as fast , but takes me every where d boulevard did , & it didn't cost NEAR as much , insurance 1/2 d cost , handles better , 200 lbs lighter ,rides d same ,lot better mpg 90-108 , & every where I park , ppl come up 2 me & ask about d bike .lol ..boulevard top speed wuz 100...virago 90 !!!!
Rider of d storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
Registered Member

Cool

Picked up a leftover special from local scooter shop today.

A 2011 model 110cc Chinese SuperCub clone:

Rode it for about 12 mi. and took it all apart to change oil, check valves, took off misc. items that are just dead weight like the steering lock, helmet hooks, metal rak in the step-thru, re-toorque every nut and bolt..

Still not used to the clutch-less 4-speed GP style shifting...

The tires will get changed out soon, if I keep missing shifts that make the rear wheel skid like crazy.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider of d storm View Post
...it wuz geared so low I used 1st, 3rd, & 5th all by 35 mph.
It's a bit different with Teresa. You can forget about accelerating in 5th below ~45mph, and don't even try to cruise on flat roads below ~40. Revs 4000 at 100km/h (62mph). A 6th would be nice for 90+ km/h, but that's all. With just taller gears I'd have to use 3rd in town instead of 4th I can use now.

Ciliegia (our Hyo GV250) revving 7000 at 100km/h had a lot of headroom for taller gears, though. And the larger front sprocket seemed to help quite a bit (still going in 5th in town!), now my girlfriend always beats me at FE when we ride together
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Registered Member

Cool

Picked up a GSXR 1K titanium muffler from the salvage yard for $25:

Gonna try and mount it on my 06 F4i:

Some cutting and a connecting pipe fabrication maybe involved in the near future :lol3:

Put about 37 miles on the Super cub clone, I grounded the left foot peg in corners, twice.
It's plenty of get up and go to leave cars behind from a stoplight.
It cruises nicely between 35-42 mph without feel of labored. 45-50 mph seems pretty easy, but the suspension really is the limiting factor to sustain that speed.

In efforts to reduce the exhaust heat and removing all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are greased properly;
I removed the exhaust from the SuperCub clone, sanded down the faux-chrome that is already peeling and gave it a coat of BBQ paint :lol3:

Maybe I will dig up some old ceramic wrap for the header later on.
I'd assume that this thing gets carb-icing pretty bad in the cold, maybe the header wrap would need to be removed. :lol3

Oh, I ditched the sidestand safety switch for another 1/4 lb. of weight saving.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Registered Member

Cool

Over 750 mi. ridden now.

Changed the front sprocket from 14t to 16t, stock chain is just long enough. Now the engine cruises easily/happily at 45 mph, with enough torque to accelerate up to 50+ mph.

Been re-fueling about every 70-75 miles, about 0.45 gal. to fill the tank, averaging over 100 mpg.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #29
Registered Member

Past few weeks, I've ridden in Majorca (Palma to Formentor), Barcelona to Montserrat & Castelledefels to watch the Vuelta Espania and Taipei, Taiwan to visit family.

Ridden on 250cc, 125cc and 150cc scooters in each of those areas,

Scooters and 2-wheel vehicles are definitely majority in traffic flow.. and move through traffic much quicker than 4-wheel vehicles. Taiwan in particular have designated areas at the front of each intersection for 2-wheel vehicles to move ahead of 4-wheel vehicle traffic and get a head start when lights turn green.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

Cool

Finally, after nearly 3 months of restoration, I got the 1978 GoldWing running..

not the easiest bike to work on but at least it doesn't require computer diagnostics to figure out its problems.. points and condensors converted to modern electronic ignition, thanks to DYNA.

New tires, brake pads/lines, new front master brake cylinder, brake performance still is to be desired..

Repainted side bags, body panels and tank covers, almost look like a decent bike:

Almost look like a modern "bagger":