My Honda CBF125 on 150mpg :) - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #31

Re: My Honda CBF125 on 150mpg :)

Even so, i think a starter lasts 80, 90, 100 000km, less than that, the battery dies first, and the engine is up in a half of a second

check a little video i did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUJpDsXSoI

Yesterday i went with a friend of mine, and, of course, the mileage is certanily to forget went to highway totally at WOT, 8km, the sparkplug went to 200?C. Even so, hope i can do 1.50 on this tank

DanielMaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Maia View Post
But that will cause "wear" in the chain/sprocket/front sprocket, and in the gear box also
How often do you replace a starter vs chain/sprocket or gear box?

Starter and starting gear are only meant to be used at start, not constantly moving as the wheels/tires.

Personally, I'd consider chain/sprocket & gear box much more durable than starter gear, since much of the acceleration/deceleration is stressing on the drivetrain.

Chain/sprocket are likely to be easier to replace, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
I've heard several times about 'wearing the starter' - is that something real? It's just an electric motor, a simple and sturdy thing, I'd expect it to drag me through the continent if I had a battery that's strong enough to fuel it.
(Yup, an F650's starter can actually move the bike and the rider, even uphills I had to try it when I lost a clutch cable )
I have a feeling if you use the electrical power and the starter to move the bike/rider, you will likely wear out your starting gear really quickly.. say within kms.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #33

The starting gear you talk is this?

mine doesnt have that, only have a electric starter.

A chain, rear sprocket and a front sprocket costs 40, 50, 60€, and it lasts 30k 40k km, in normal driving mode. A electric start can be re-assembled, and the cost is near 60, 70, 80€, but lasts more than 80k km

just a thought
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #34
Registered Member

Starter gear looks like this:

It is internal to the engine, wear and tear of the starter gear is not visible, only audible when it is worn. Attached to the tip on the spindle of your starter the turns the crank of the engine.

To replace a starter gear usually mean removing the starter from the engine..

If there is no starting gear on the spindle of the starter, like the image below:

You need to replace the whole starter when the teeths are worn.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #35

Nice! Even so, the starting gear lasts tons of km if well lubed (hope it was well lubbed in the factory btw), but usually it lasts 100k km.

I have 12k km on mine, lets see how long the starter or battery "lives"

Other thing i thought: starting the engine releasing the clutch with a gear on (4th or 5th gear), cause some heavy wear in the clutch also..
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
I have a feeling if you use the electrical power and the starter to move the bike/rider, you will likely wear out your starting gear really quickly.. say within kms.
Hm, that makes sense. I don't really know how strong are those gears. "May" not be designed to drive that much weight

On durability of other parts: the first drive belt lasted 63k km for me, rear sprocket wore off at 82k (literally wore off, because the replacement I had ordered from ebay took half a year to arrive... I had to buy another one locally and it was twice as expensive, ~480USD). The starter is ok after 91k.

And I had to replace the battery twice. The first one lasted 5 years, the second lasted 2...
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice! Even so, the starting gear lasts tons of km if well lubed (hope it was well lubbed in the factory btw), but usually it lasts 100k km.
Usually, the starter doesn't have to work while coasting downhill.

Quote:
I have 12k km on mine, lets see how long the starter or battery "lives"

Other thing i thought: starting the engine releasing the clutch with a gear on (4th or 5th gear), cause some heavy wear in the clutch also..
IMO, clutch would take much more abuse than starting gear, and likely easier to replace.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
IMO, clutch would take much more abuse than starting gear, and likely easier to replace.
My clutch plates had to be replaced soon after I got Teresa, at 46k km. I don't know anything about the first owner, but I used engine braking very much at the beginning, down to almost zero, with several shifts along the process, and didn't know anything about rev matching. The new plates are almost exactly as 'old' (in distance) as the previous ones, let's see how long they'll survive! I guess this time they'll last longer, despite all the P&G I've been doing since not much after they got replaced.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #39

But, as i said, this bike doesnt have starting gear, so, i only have 2 options: electric start or release the clutch on 4th and 5th, and wake up the engine.

One day, im wondering in a project for my bike. Will consist in a belt drive, like this:

http://image.streetchopperweb.com/f/...belt_drive.jpg

Maybe the FE will be better, what you guys think?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe the FE will be better, what you guys think?
I don't think so. AFAIK a bit more energy is lost through belts than through chains. Our chain driven bike coasts a bit better at lower speeds (though it can be anything, not just the belt...)