New LED turn signals installed - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: New LED turn signals installed

If you want to make a flasher that is compatible with your LED system without using a resistor, use this instead:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...html%23flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
The unit is advertised as no load, no heat, and a simple resistor would get hot.
yeah I'm seeing that there are some there that are advertised as no heat and not load while others mention that they'll get hot.. Hmm.. Maybe it does exactly what we think it should do instead of acting as a heat load.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

Maybe that would work on metric bikes, but it won't work on a Harley. Harley uses a proprietary turn signal module. It has an accelerometer built in, so the turn signals automatically cancel when you straighten up after leaning into a turn. I looked into getting a solid state mechanism that would not require a load equalizer or resistor, but that can't be done without totally re-wiring the bike, and I would lose the auto cancel feature. I am pleased with the operation of the system as it is right now.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe that would work on metric bikes, but it won't work on a Harley. Harley uses a proprietary turn signal module. It has an accelerometer built in, so the turn signals automatically cancel when you straighten up after leaning into a turn. I looked into getting a solid state mechanism that would not require a load equalizer or resistor, but that can't be done without totally re-wiring the bike, and I would lose the auto cancel feature. I am pleased with the operation of the system as it is right now.
LED's use less energy-Win
LED's are brighter -Win
LED's last longer -Win

Many guys on the Buell forums have switched to LED's and done detailed testing on the lessened draw of LED's.

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

More information on the LED units I chose for the front of the bike:

Quote:
Most front motorcycle turn signals are dual intensity, they light up as a low intensity running light at approximately 30% of full brightness and when the turn signal is activated they flash from the running light intensity level (30%) to full brightness (100%).

Eclipze? LEDs are designed to increase your frontal visibility in four ways. First, the running light intensity is changed from 30% of full brightness to 100% of full brightness making you motorcycle more visible all at times. Secondly, when a turn signal is activated the LEDs flash from 100% to 0% brightness giving more contrast as a turn signal, thus increasing your visibility when you are turning. Next, because Eclipze? uses 48 high powered wide angle LEDs, they provide more light output than standard incandescent bulbs. Lastly, because LEDs illuminate 1/5 of a second faster than standard incandescent bulbs, this provides greater reaction time for other vehicles when your motorcycle is signaling for a turn, at 65mph this equates to 17 ft of reaction distance.

If you would like more information on EclipzeLEDs? please contact us at 1-800-382-1388.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #15

Are these units heavier or lighter than incandescent bulbs?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

They're not heavy, just 48 LED's on a round aluminum plate with an 1156 or 1157 pigtail connector on the end. They're probably only an ounce or 2 heavier than a comparable glass bulb, if at all. I would say the weight difference is negligible.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Registered Member

Looks good! Good info for future mods to my Yamaha
thx L&S
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds more like a yaw sensor to me..
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #19
Registered Member

Actually yaw would be if the rear tire slid (drifted) in a turn, a little exciting on a street bike to say the least!
I believe the HD one responds to the bike righting itself after being leaned over.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, I learned that if I took my time straightening the bike up, the turn signal stayed on for a bit after I made the turn, but if I make a point to straighten up quickly after a turn it cancels quickly.