Scooter or motorcycle? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
At least in Wisconsin if it's engine is over 50cc then you need a motorcycle license, the 50cc scooters are licensed as "mopeds" and they have all kinds of advantages, like being able to park on sidewalks (no more coins in the meter, or tickets), they are also required to have an automatic tranny to make them simple to operate, if you get above 50cc then by all means get a motorcycle, small wheels are unstable, are bad with potholes, step thru frames feel unstable and are harder to maneuver with.
Check the requirements in your area. In some states to qualify as a moped it also must no go above 25mph (I believe) in addition to being 50cc and under. There are some 50cc scooters that go over 25mph that do not qualify as mopeds. To suit both markets Honda makes two versions of its Metropolitan scooter, one is limited to the lower mph.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
IMHO, Motorcycle > Scooter.

Usually faster, louder, and girls want to go for a ride.
I was over at my friends place replacing the seals in the master cylinder on my 1978 BMW R80/7 last weekend. He showed me this 30 year old Vespa he'd picked up last winter. We decided to see if it would start after sitting for 6 months -- it fired right up -- and then decided to run it up and down the street a bit.

As he's leaving the driveway, he stops at the sidewalk to let a very cute pedestrian pass -- she looks at him smiles and says "great scooter".

Funny, I've never had a hot chick look at my motorcycle and say the same thing.

anagama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
As you can tell, I went for the Rebel after all. It works for the farting around town I wanted and the manual transmission lets me try some 250cc hypermiling (P&G, EOC, ect.)
Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Registered Member

One advantage of a scooter, say a 150cc, is it only weights about 250# total. makes it easy to load it on a Hitch Carrier and take with you "day to day" or on a "longer trip".
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
Registered Member

I always thought scooters gave at least 100 or 120mpg?

What is this 65mph you guys are talking about?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #26

OK, somehow through this site I stumbled upon in frame mount motors for bicycles, they are relatively cheap (less than $300 new), some users have reported going 35-40mph and getting over 120 mpg. I've been an avid freestyle BMX and MTB rider for 20 years, so I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these motors and going MX style with it. Should be fun.

http://thatsdax.com/
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
I always thought scooters gave at least 100 or 120mpg?

What is this 65mph you guys are talking about?
65 MILES PER HOUR

100+ MILES PER GALLON is usually reserved for 4 stroke 50cc scoots and a few other very small scoots/bikes
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #28
Registered Member

I have been riding motorcycles since 2001, ridden more than my fair share of motorcycles. Recently, I just got a 250cc cheap Chinese scooter. I put over 1800 miles since March 26th.

Scooter cost $80 a year to insure, my motorcycles usually around $150 to $400 a year depending on model.

Maintenance on the scooter has been very cheap, it takes less than a quart of oil, 800ml of coolant, $4 sparkplug, $30 replacement tire, $25 for CVT belt, since I bought my scooter I have not spent $1 at a local dealer for maintenance or parts.

90% pr the engine operation is between 30-55 mph, I very rarely go above that, and never sustain high rpm operation. I'm loving my scooter for the practicality.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #29
QDM
Registered Member

I have built a few of those for myself and friends. Be very careful! A bicycle isn't designed to go the speeds these engines will push them.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
OK, somehow through this site I stumbled upon in frame mount motors for bicycles, they are relatively cheap (less than $300 new), some users have reported going 35-40mph and getting over 120 mpg. I've been an avid freestyle BMX and MTB rider for 20 years, so I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these motors and going MX style with it. Should be fun.

http://thatsdax.com/
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #30
Registered Member

I think scooters are great in the city centre of for the suburbs, but in I do not trust other car drivers at all, I saw a motor bike pushed half way into the side of a car, it was the cars fault as he took the corner when he shouldn't have, the bike rider was decapitated right away, at the time I thought his helmet came off, that took away any fancy idea I had about getting a motor bike now.