Scooter or motorcycle? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDM View Post
I have built a few of those for myself and friends. Be very careful! A bicycle isn't designed to go the speeds these engines will push them.

Q
Most bicycles aren't. My bicycles however are designed for jumping, flipping, dropping (as in dropping off cliffs), high speed runs, and other assorted mayhem. I've made gravity runs on bicycles past 55 mph on several occasions, one of them being on a BMX bike. Adding 19 lbs for the motor and having a top speed of 35-45 mph seems pretty good to me.

ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
Most bicycles aren't. My bicycles however are designed for jumping, flipping, dropping (as in dropping off cliffs), high speed runs, and other assorted mayhem. I've made gravity runs on bicycles past 55 mph on several occasions, one of them being on a BMX bike. Adding 19 lbs for the motor and having a top speed of 35-45 mph seems pretty good to me.
Most bicycles that are built for jumping, flipping, dropping off a cliff are likely to weight up to 50 lb. with all the suspension. Can't be fun pedaling (po-going) that on pavement for extended period of time.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #33
Registered Member

qlink 250

I just bought a qlink 250cc cruiser. Qlink has got very good reviews on various scooter websites. The pegasus scooter is very hard to get. Liquid cooled. They sell out before they arrive. My "Legend" is a great looking 250. I haven't checked the milege yet but I have only used a small amount of the 2.3 gallon tank and I've got 65 miles on it. 2300.00 out the door, tax and tags in florida. I'm guessing I'll get 70-90mpg. It should cruise at 65 or so after break in.

Chinese scares me...it's a taiwan company that makes their stuff in china...they say they have engineers to oversee...they all say that so I'm not sure I believe it....does have 2 year parts and labor, 1 year road side assistance. Will I have to wait 6 hours to get help....your guess is as good as mine. I bought because of the reviews. Be sure to drive it!!!! The first one I drove didn't shift well. The welds are a little snotty but....what can you expect for 1990.00 plus tax and tags.

One thing I don't like is carburated....it needs to warm up a bit before taking off. It's fine after a few minutes. Runs great....I probably need a little carb adjustment...I'll get it done at my 500 mile oil change. It had zero miles and I don't think it was ever started so they had to adjust the carb a little while I stood there.

www.qlinkmotor.com

just hit cancel when the chinese language thing comes up....I'm not selling these so fear not!!! I'm not a salesman for qlink. The reviews say qlink is 3rd tier out of 5 tiers when it comes to quality of scooters. Honda, yamaha....1st tier. Here's the review I read...this is why I bought it. http://scootdawg.proboards59.com/ind...ay&thread=1590

The "legecy" is pretty! Has a radio built in and etc....about 3300.00 out the door. The chinese sure do know how to make good looking cheap stuff.
cugir321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
Most bicycles that are built for jumping, flipping, dropping off a cliff are likely to weight up to 50 lb. with all the suspension. Can't be fun pedaling (po-going) that on pavement for extended period of time.
With the motor it will be about that weight. I usually ride full rigid MTBs because of my BMX background and my bikes usually weigh in around 30 lbs. I'm thinking of using a squish fork with the motor though.

Here's a bike similar to what I typically ride.

I will need a slightly taller frame to fit the motor though.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Hot damn! First tank yielded 94.6 mpg... not bad from the usual 22.3 I got in my car!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a bike similar to what I typically ride.

Single speed with that tiny chainring and no front brake at 55mph?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #37

Gravity can be a wonderful thing for gaining speed. I did state that the posted bike is similar to my bikes, I do use front brakes on my MTBs.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:

I mounted a chain saw engine on my mountain bike back in 1998, I rode it all the way to Paris from Scotland, it was so dam loud even with extra steel wool in the muffler and the vibrations in the saddle and handle bars was a killer, my hands would lose sensation even with the flexy stem, the only good part was the speed and FE, I originally used a half litre water bottle as a fuel tank and it would last around 90 to 120 minutes depending on what I did, I had so much fun with this but I got pulled over by the cops way to many times in the end, because it had a 64cc engine they said I needed an MOT, road tax, and insurance, killjoys.

I highly recommend you guys make your own chainsaw powered bikes because its a blast, I could get up 68mph with my gear set up and the engine has the same power as 6 pairs of legs but with 20,000rpms

Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #39
Registered Member

fine machine

That is a kick butt piece of work!!! 68mph!!! Oh yea!!! Nice!

Feedback on my Qlink Legend 250cc....sent qlink an email...going on two days without an answer. That's enough to say.....they're not as good as the review. The motorcycle rides fine but....they can offer anything in warranty form but if they don't answer their email then it is worthless...or close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
I mounted a chain saw engine on my mountain bike back in 1998, I rode it all the way to Paris from Scotland, it was so dam loud even with extra steel wool in the muffler and the vibrations in the saddle and handle bars was a killer, my hands would lose sensation even with the flexy stem, the only good part was the speed and FE, I originally used a half litre water bottle as a fuel tank and it would last around 90 to 120 minutes depending on what I did, I had so much fun with this but I got pulled over by the cops way to many times in the end, because it had a 64cc engine they said I needed an MOT, road tax, and insurance, killjoys.

I highly recommend you guys make your own chainsaw powered bikes because its a blast, I could get up 68mph with my gear set up and the engine has the same power as 6 pairs of legs but with 20,000rpms

cugir321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #40
Registered Member

I tell this to everyone who thinks about getting a scooter over a motorcycle. Scooters are WAY overpriced. Motorcycles are too, but scooters are really bad. Most scooters cannot go on the freeway (often for legal reasons) and if you ever develop a love for riding (most do), then you WILL want to go a long distance at freeway speeds. I can't do 90% of the things I do on a motorcycle on a scooter. My theory is if your commute is short enough for using a scooter, then you can bike it on a bicycle (which I love doing except my commute is 46 miles hence the need for a freeway vehicle). Scooter mpg isn't that much better than small motorcycles. My Buell Blast is a 492cc Harley Davidson that gives me 87mpg city/freeway combined when I ride aerodynamically by putting my feet on the rear pegs and laying on the bike. It's not uncomfortable. It'll take me just over 100mph and has no trouble up hills. My huge increase in mpg largely comes from the fact that motorcycles unlike cars are terribly un-aerodynamic. By riding out of the wind, I've boosted my mpgs by 33%. No joke. 67mpg up to 87mpg. That's at a steady riding speed of 60-65mph. Not bad eh? I bought the bike used in 2004 (2 years old) for $1900 with 1850 miles on it. Buell Blasts are cheap for resale because most people don't like them because they accelerate slowly compared to twin and four cylinder equivalents. Get a motorcycle. You'll thank yourself after you've gotten your riding skills up to par.

toniportray is offline   Reply With Quote