Thinking about getting a motorcycle - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
Registered Member

Not sure why you're so worried about fuel injected models over carbs. New ninjas are still built with carbs, even after the complete redesign of the outside and some engine mods to smooth out the power band.

What's you're beef w/ carbs? As long as you don't touch them, they're fine....???

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #72
Site Team / Moderator

The main reason I don't want a carbed bike is that I would like to not spend a lot of time starting it if I don't ride for 2 weeks. I also think from an economy standpoint it would be easier to squeeze extra mileage out of a fuel injected model. There is no significant price difference between older carbed models, and the newer fuel injected ones. Even comparing 80's and 90's models the used bikes are going for at least $5,000. Harley started fuel injecting their entire product line in 2004. I would consider a carbed model if it was significantly cheaper, but looking at used values this is not the case. Trying to get a cheap bike to learn on I even looked at salvage title bikes with some road rash on them, and even those were $7,000 - $8,000. The 2006 HD Dyna Super Glide with Fuel Injection and the revised, smoother shifting transmission at $9,000 seems like a good deal to me. I of course will talk them down on the price when I go to buy.

Another point about fuel injection is that I want a trouble free bike to ride. I don't want to be working on it with any amount of regular frequency. Even my brother in law's carbed Harley which he has kept maintained very well is a PITA to start if he doesn't ride for 2 weeks, and it runs rough cold. I want something to ride, not work on.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #73
Registered Member

I've owned 5 carbed street bikes (three that were 2 cylinder and two that were 4 cylinder).

The only issue I had with them is if they sit a couple of years without running, then you have to remove the carb bowls and spray cleaner up into the idle and main jets.

All my carb bikes started fine first thing in the spring- maybe an extra 5 seconds of cranking.

Maybe Harleys have a poor carb design that makes them troublesome, but I wouldn't judge all carbs by your BIL's bad experiences.

IMHO carbs will be more easily modified for economy (change the jets) than a FI bike (maybe flash the ECU?)
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #74
Site Team / Moderator

I guess I've been soured on carbs by Rusty and The Big White Hooptie. Both have carb issues that can't be remedied cheaply, while the fuel injected Beast keeps pushing on with absolutely no fuel system issues. I am actually thinking about eventually converting the Hooptie to fuel injection at some point in the future.

It seems that the depreciation on a Harley seems to level off after about 5 years. With the 5 year old bikes being roughly the same price as the 15 year old bikes, I'd rather take the newer, fuel injected model. Harley also introduced a smoother shifting 6 speed transmission in 2006. For this reason I would like to focus on trying to get a deal on a 2006 model (to get fuel injection and the 6 speed transmission), but really don't want a bike older than a 2004.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote