Thinking about getting a motorcycle - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #51
Site Team / Moderator

We don't need to get into a fight over this. I think the thread title is fine.

On a brighter note, my brother in law actualy trusted his Harley 1200C Sportster in my hands. He showed me the basics today. You can't tell in the pic, but I'm actually moving, and my feet aren't touching the ground. Result: Didn't damage the bike, or myself. I consider it a success.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I don't think the direction of this thread is helping the OP or anybody. I also don't think anybody is going to convince anyone of anything, nor will anyone seem to have "won" if it continues.

Maybe somebody has something informative or insightful to say about the FE of a Kawasaki Vulcan?
I had a carbed 1991 A model and it averaged 48 mpg.

Jim

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #53
Site Team / Moderator

Well, I signed up for the motorcycle rider course. I'm scheduled for June 17 & 18. I'll probably get a motorcycle learner's permit next week so I can practice before the class with my brother in law.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Well, I signed up for the motorcycle rider course. I'm scheduled for June 17 & 18. I'll probably get a motorcycle learner's permit next week so I can practice before the class with my brother in law.
That's probably your best move. Also, I don't know about your state, but in California the DMV tests you on your low speed riding ability...go out a ways in the parking lot and back between two lines, around a circle between two lines without putting down your feet, and weaving back and forth between painted dots or cones. So practice low speed maneuvering until you have it down cold.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #55
Site Team / Moderator

If I pass the state approved motorcycle course the DMV will waive the knowledge and road tests. The state approved class includes 5 hours classroom instruction and 10 hours on the driving range.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #56
Site Team / Moderator

I found a really good deal on an Indian Spirit on Craigs list in a nearby state. I may go on a mini roadtrip next week to check it out if its still for sale by then.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #57
Site Team / Moderator

Status update: I just got back from the DMV. I passed the knowledge test and I now have a motorcycle learner's permit.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #58
Registered Member

I don't ride a bike but one thing that someone told me once when I was thinking about one is gloves. I thought it was for looks but he said that if something does happen, your hands are the first thing to go down. protect them.

it was sound advice though I opted out of a bike. I was looking at a 300 though. it was cheap and 70mpg to boot. the kids dad decided to keep it after he went back to college. he was an intern where I work.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #59

I will tell you from the standpoint of having laid down a bike... gear is your lifeline. I had to lay down the Ascot at 50mph and because I was wearing proper gear I came out with almost no injury. My advice is as follows in order of importance : Helmet,gloves, jacket boots and pants. the first three should probably be bought together and the rest as you feel the need or can afford it.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #60
Site Team / Moderator

I was going to buy all of the gear, so if I did drop a bike I wouldn't end up a bloody smear on the road.