Thoughts on switching to Midgrade fuel? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #21
Registered Member

Long & old thread that has been bumped. Believe Jay2TheRescue has heard this before, & he probably doesn't need repeats now. But here goes.
People using 87 octane 10% ethanol blends AREN'T using 87 octane fuel. First, the ethanol is 114 octane. Second, the gasoline molecules remaining, must have an average octane rating of 84 to balance the ethanol. The octane of the mishmash blend of fuels is anything BUT 87 octane. No wonder 10% ethanol blends often don't work properly, with knocking &/or loss of 8%, 7% & 5% mpg. On top of what 10% ethanol blends ARE, 10% ethanol blenders have been taken to court, because of mistaken double blending(forming 20% ethanol blends) & possible purposeful blending to as much as 64% AND sold as 10% ethanol blend.

HOWEVER, true 87 octane gasoline(ethanol-free) E0, does have molecules averaging 87 octane(duh).....that's it. How 'bout dat!! 87 octane fuel actually burning in octane 87 gasoline engines. Who woulda thot!!!!

litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Yeah, I've been putting in premium E10 in it. Lately I've been buying it at Sam's Club and paying the going rate for 87 octane. I still have yet to find a station selling premium E0 within a reasonable riding distance. I saw a dealer on puregas.org's site in Maryland that's about an hour away that supposedly has it. If they're reasonably priced I may just go there in the car every few weeks and fill up some 5 gallon cans to use in the lawnmower and motorcycle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I still have yet to find a station selling premium E0 within a reasonable riding distance. I saw a dealer on puregas.org's site in Maryland that's about an hour away that supposedly has it.
Hi Jay......Unlike some states that have increased their E0 sources dramatically in the past 2 or 3 years, Virginia & Maryland are right under the noses of the EPA. Maryland has only added 10 stations in the past year & a half, while Virginia has added about 34, but still under 300. The cool zoomable map on pure-gas.org does show a few 87 octane E0 sources in northern Virginia. Those still aren't near you? Yes, I've had a discussions with some of the pure-gas.org people. They are happy to see E0 served in ANY OCTANE. But I've stated its time, NOT to take the EPA piecemeal strategies to squash E0 sources, one being to restrict 87 octane E0. While E0 sources in upper octanes increase, the great unleashing of ethanol-free gasoline really needs the availability of 87 octane E0 everywhere.
litesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #24
Site Team / Moderator

The closest E0 source is the Pure station in Berryville, VA, which is about 30 miles from home. The nearest E0 premium station appears to be to the west of Winchester, over an hour away. There is a E0 premium station about 30 mins from my parent's house, but since it is a chainsaw dealer, I think it will probably be very expensive.

The problem with VA and MD is that DC is an area regulated by the EPA. The EPA mandates E10 within a certain mileage radius of DC.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #25
E1
Registered Member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
motorcycle manufacturers have to factor in all types of people riding in all types of conditions. big people, small people, riding with a passenger, outside temperature changes,altitude, etc. If you are not riding hard, and no passenger, mainly commuting to work, I would try a lower octane fuel. If it pings, drop a gear, and let off the throttle,it's not rocket science.
Smart boy.
E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
JBW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
try it, and listen for pinging. if it pings, go back to premium. I run regular in my valkyrie with no problems.
try checking the mpg. which ever octane gives best mpg is the best fuel for your bike. that what i did. 1000 mi. mpg compar-o per each octane 87,89,91-94 R+M/2. results were the higher the octane the better the mpg. with the highest octane giving the best average mpg.
JBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:16 AM   #27
LDB
Registered Member

Quote:
Harley recommends 91 octane fuel, but since I'm not running the bike hard (I'm very rarely using more than 25% throttle), and it is computer controlled fuel injection, what are everyone's thoughts on me switching to 89 octane fuel? Saving $0.15/gal would be nice.
I see you have 80 fills so far. How long has it taken to go 80 fills? At 4 gallons per fill you'd save 60 cents or a total of $48 so far. At a fairly typical Harley 40mpg that's 160 miles per fill or around 13k miles so the $48 is about a penny every 3 miles. I agree with saving money whenever possible but is it enough in this case for any possible risk? Disclaimer, all arithmetic done this early before any breakfast is subject to who knows what sort of insane errors.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #28
JBW
Registered Member

Quote:
what are everyone's thoughts on me switching to 89 octane fuel?
you'll get less mpg on lower octane. higher octane better for your engine. its worth the extra few cents.
JBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, I've been using premium E10 in it. Still looking for a good source for premium E0.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #30
gt1
Registered Member

I've used 89 or even 87 on my BMW on several occasions, mostly in the rural areas where 91 was hard to come by. Didn't notice any appreciable difference in the bike's behavior.

gt1 is offline   Reply With Quote