Vectrix Scooters - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Vectrix Scooters

I hope this is the right place for this post. I just came across this company doing market research for my job...cost segregation studies on commercial real estate...but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these vehicles?

It seems like a pretty cool thing, they are listed for a little under $9000.00 US for a scooter with a decent top speed and a range of 35-55 or so miles. I was just writing to see what we all knew about this.

Thanks!

nickpitt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

The problem with electric vehicule is that when everybody is going to want one, we are just going to make electricity out of gas or of cold, so no gain.

And the price of electricity is only going to go up.

Answer, Solor and Wind, and stop wasting it!

About the scooter, it would defenitly covers all my needs (for a scooter, a car is still really praticical, and I need a car in winter (november to april...)). Its DAMN fast, electricity is getting good acceleration, like the Tesla and the EV1 (RIP). The range is great. Its just like a Relfex 250cc from Honda or a Yamaha Majesty 400cc, these are lightweight, can do highway with a passenger, are comfortable, EASY on gas. One day I will take my license and I will have my highway scooter...

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

I know this electric scooter has regenerative braking.. I wonder how the range of the battery is effected when it is ridden in city traffic when the regenerative brake is being used more.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Here is somewhat less expensive alternative:

http://www.evcusa.com/products.asp

Looks like my 250cc scooter, but with 17" wheels.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'd been following the Vectrix saga since 2000 when I saw my first prototype at a plastics engineering exposition. A mold builder for whom I had done prior service work built the molds for the body panels and had one of the scooters in his booth.
The price at US introduction a year ago was just a tick over $11k, pretty pricey for a mid size with 50cc performance. A relatively hard test ride of about 10 miles used about 1/4 the indicated range available so their estimate is quite reasonable, with new, fully charged batteries.
I did some quick calculations on range, recharge, my town owned electric utility energy mix and my cost per kWh and concluded that my VW diesel powered by B100 biodiesel was a less costly and greener choice than the scooter.

So now I commute by bicycle instead.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Picked up my Vectrix last Friday. Been a blast riding it. Excellent acceleration, and range has been 30+ miles and should increase somewhat as I go through the deep recharge cycles required to break in the batteries. My Prius is now my gus guzzling vehicle.

rontivo is offline   Reply With Quote