Why o why has no manufacturer done this YET.... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Motorcycles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry Why o why has no manufacturer done this YET....

I'm getting sick and tired of all these concept vehicles which promise super economy and all that ,then WHEN they deliver the price is a joke.
Why cant a manufacturer just make a cheap affordable commuter vehicle small enough to not jam up our citys that you are covered from the elements and that has a decent mpg, cant be hard can it .
What i mean is something like the Vandenbrink Carver but without the fancy steering geometry and expensive computer controlled tilting hydraulics .All this is not nessasary and would cut cost dramatically.
Something that comes close is this :-
Xingyue Vogue.
Attached Images

eco_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Trouble is the Xingyue Vogue looks like an elderly persons chariot for going down the shops on type thing ....... however with a bit of photoshopping (basically stretching it a bit ,probably 12", and lowering the seat and making a backrest ,lowering the roof and removing those hideous rear mudgaurds over the rear wheels) you get this.....
I think it looks miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles better already, put some removable doors on it some alloys on the rear (which ive seen done) ...........you get the picture.
SURELY this can be made for less than $5000 ?
A company in China could tool up for this tommorow...............but it does'nt happen................
Is this really all NOT happening because of the oil giants and global economys greed ?
And if it looked appealing and cheap to buy they would be f##ked ?
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Heres the Vandenbrink Carver if you've never seen one !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22carver1.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1401  
Old 12-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Or even something like the Moonbeam but more modern looking with composite panels and powered by gas ?
Moonbeam link,
http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze6omtd...ibb/index.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	moonbeam.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1402  
Old 12-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Something like this....
You get the idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carvermod.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1403  
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Just found this.....
Very interesting.....
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...ctric-Car.html

Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

Seems to me that something with a single front wheel, without the fancy steering geometry, would be quite a handful to handle, especially at speed. I recently tried riding one of those pedal trikes, and had to unlearn everything about riding a bike or motorcycle...took me 5-10 minutes before I could ride it semi-competently. Had quite a time with one of those 3-wheel ATCs about 30 years ago, same situation. I kept trying to ride it like a bike, just doesn't work.

The last one you show, with the single rear wheel and two front wheels looks more like it would be easy for anyone to handle. And it has a little range, and enough speed to not get run over too badly on the freeway. But...it still looks too goofy for the average consumer, and two-seaters are kinda looked down upon, even here, compared to four seaters.

Also...do they meet current safety standards? AND...do they come with all the creature comforts we've come to expect in our cars? You and I don't mind rolling our windows up and down, but...do they even make cars like that anymore?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Seems to me that something with a single front wheel, without the fancy steering geometry, would be quite a handful to handle, especially at speed.
Thanks for the response however maybe you missed my point about the removal of the fancy tilting mech .... what i meant is just use a pivot like the Xingyue or originally the Honda Gyro with a 'chopper' style front end instead of the fancy steering, basically a Xingyue vogue with the Carvers body and safety and larger rear end/engine, cant be hard can it ...............would be hard on the oil gaints thou
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

the 3 wheel deals meet safety standards but there is a catch.

it is classified as a motorcycle. that is how a lot of those vehicles get around the cost of airbags and crumple zones and what not. most of them do not require a helmet since they are enclosed but it depends state to state on the motorcycle endorced license.

some others to look up are:
-aptera
-wildfire
-NMG (www.myersmotors.com) sorry, just checked, now it is the DUO but it is a 2 seater

there are some nice 3-wheelers out there but remember that they are still motorcycles and the safety that they meet is usually the same as the 250cc honda shadow (or whatever)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

Had another doodle and came up with this (dont laugh ! its rough i know and it was done in paintbox !)
You can see the original outline of the height of the Xingyue Vogue in white above.
Attached Images