Electrolyte keeps diminishing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > HHO and Hydrogen
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Electrolyte keeps diminishing

Hello members ! I have been experimenting with HHO for 2 yrs. now. Last wk I built an 11 cell unit with 20 gauge, 304 stainless plates. 3.5X3.5
Initially, I mixed 2 ltr of distilled water with 1 ltr. Of 50% liquid KOH. The amp draw was 18 amps, and I got 1 1/2 ltr/ per min. I thought this was fantastic, so I drove for about 100 miles to test the unit. I averaged a 25% increase in mileage on an '07 Malibu V6.(3.5 ltr engine), but the storage tank got quite hot.
Next day I drove about 30 miles to work, then home again. When I checked the unit, it was drawing 10 amps and putting out about 1/2 ltr. per min.
Normally, when water is consumed in these devices, the amp draw should go up due to the fact that the KOH is supposed to remain in solution, and only the water diminishes.
I have found this problem with all of my testing, and surely would like to get around it.
If you have any suggestions, I sure would appreciate any help you can render.

Regards. Dave Lynds 1-902-223-6141
davelynds@eastlink.ca

dlynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Electrolyte keeps diminishing

On my unit I found that once in a while the electrolyte would expand enough to go into the supply line. The fix was an expansion bottle (think overflow on the radiator).

On the bench I noticed tiny droplets of electrolyte leaving the surface. A clear plastic disc cut from bubble packaging in each cell with a hole offset from the supply tube keeps the droplets from leaving.

Between these two additions, I have to add water rarely, which is an indication that a lot of electrolyte was lost before.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote