Installation troubles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question Installation troubles

First off, I should say hello. This is my first post on this forum.

I've been building an HHO generator for a while now. I tested it with a car charger set at 6 and 12 volts. At 12 volts it was pulling about 22 amps with the catalyst solution of baking soda and salt. I don't know how many amps it is pulling in my car, but it was making 4 bubbles per second with the charger as a power source, and it's making one bubble per second in my car. Does anyone know what might cause this. I have it wired with 12 gauge braided copper wire, a 30 amp in line fuse and a switch that is rated up to 20 amps at 120 volts (so overkill for a 12 volt system). There is about 8 feet of wire all together if this makes a difference.

I added more catalyst and it increased production a little bit. But I was hoping that someone might know what's going on here. I'm by no means an expert in this area.

mmelnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Not really enough info to troubleshoot. But, I let you in a cheap and easy way to determine amps. Just put in about a 10 amp fuse less than what you want. Keep adding electrolyte until that fuse blows. Stop! Replace with normal running fuse. This should get you real close without an ampmeter, although they do come in handy.

LarryClapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think a car battery charger has a higher output voltage than a 12V battery.

If it just had 12.6V output, it would take a very long time to charge a battery up.

If your charger was putting out 15 or 20 Amps at 14-15 volts, that might account for the better production.