Subaru WRX and HHO - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > HHO and Hydrogen
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Subaru WRX and HHO

Hey everyone, just signed up to this forum. I became interested in running HHO and found my way over to HHO forums, but found it not to be that helpful.
I have a 2004 Subaru WRX and I'm toying with the idea of HHO, but I have a few questions. First off the car is lightly modded (not sure that matter, but thought I'd mention it just in case), 3" cattless turbo back exhuast, catless uppipe, and some light port & polish, tuned with an off the shelf stage 2 open source tune.
I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted HHO on a WRX, STi, Subaru, or on an turboed cars in general.
My first question is this: where to you tap the HHO? Do you inject it pre-turbo, say into the airbox, and if so will the heat generated by the turbo ignite the HHO in the turbo? What failsafes do you have to prevent water accidently being pumped through the system and hitting the hot turbo?
If the answer to the above question is to tap, post turbo, then how do you overcome the pressure of the boost to inject the HHO?
Next once the system is installed, how do I go about tuning for it? I've got a v1.3 tactrix (ODBii to USB) cable and a laptop in the glove box for open source tuning with programs RomRaider and OpenECU. If I make my own engine map, using my stage 2 map as a base, what settings should I change and to what values?
And as for Subaru specific questions, if you have a Rex or STi, where did you install your system? Did you put it in the engine bay? I was thinking of installing it in the trunk, do to the lack of room and heat in the engine bay.
Also any problems you encountered attempting HHO? Any heads up on likely things to look out for? Where you able to successfully run HHO? What where your results?

Thanks in advance for the replays, and I look forward to discussing this further with all of you.

OUScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

anyone?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Most of the people who post on GasSavers.org are very skeptical about HHO and don't want to waste their time on it.

Of the various people who have tried it and posted, I don't think I've seen any who tried it on a turbo car.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

You connect the outlet hose of the HHO Cell couple of inches before the turbo, as you have decatted, did you no have any issues with your 02 sensor or check engine light ? i have a HHO Dry Cell fitted to my injected car and i can tell you it is not easy at all especially tuning the EFIE for the 02 sensor, leaning out sensors on the engine but at the moment i am getting around 60% increase.
pdai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdai11 View Post
You connect the outlet hose of the HHO Cell couple of inches before the turbo, as you have decatted, did you no have any issues with your 02 sensor or check engine light ? i have a HHO Dry Cell fitted to my injected car and i can tell you it is not easy at all especially tuning the EFIE for the 02 sensor, leaning out sensors on the engine but at the moment i am getting around 60% increase.
No issues being catless, the car is tuned for it, so no CELs. As for tuning for the HHO, I thought I'd adjust the injector scaling and advance the timing, also increase the CL/OL delay. I don't think I'll play AFR much, isn't HHO supposed to work by making the o2 sensor thinking the car is running richer than it actually is?