why hydrogen as an energy source for vehicles will fail. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > HHO and Hydrogen
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
why hydrogen as an energy source for vehicles will fail.

http://www.dailytech.com/Inside+The+...ticle13199.htm

i would hate to give a synopsis as everyone should read this article. we may not see $1 per gallon but that is a lot cheaper than corn or sugar. furthermore it removes commuters from the market war over food and will not need government subsidies.

just so i am perfectly clear: i was against ethanol until this.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Hydrogen is not and can not be an energy source because we don't have any. Instead, we have to make it -- we split it out of other materials, like H2O, using reactions that are the opposite of the reaction we're going to use to recombine it and release energy (the energy that was stored by splitting it).

There's quite a bit of scientific-sounding stuff in that, but do they say what they're using for the energy/material source? If it's referring to the same project as the last article I read about GM's ethanol investments, then IIRC they're using materials from the waste stream...a Very Good Thing, IMO.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
good call on the key word source. the point i am trying to make is that efforts for HHO from manufacturers may be somewhat in vain as fuel costs could drop along with concerns of efficiency for the sake of being "energy independent".

the only current drawback of this technology is the amount of water that is needed per gallon of fuel.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

I wonder how much it costs to run that 20,000 degrees F "plasma torch"...
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'd be unsure how this would really affect the market place for the consumer.

This ethanol would be made inexpensively, but then would be sold on the ethanol market at a price. I would doubt that they would give it away, but I would bet that they would sell it at market value, hence why a company the size of GM would be interested in investing.

With continued mandates for ethanol, demand is required and prices remain high. How much are they making currently? None, so there is no way for them to currently affect prices.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The production of slag is interesting in that it was originally sourced from the steel industry and it is used in road building. With less steel manufacturing in the US slag availability has gone down. Alternatives are available, but there is a cost difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Great post, Hydrogen is not a source but instead a product.

Another food for thought on the subject of energy sources, oil is not a source either, but instead a product because it requires a massive amount of electricity to produce.

Electricity is the purest source of energy we have. At night, our nation's power plants produce excess power that could easily be stored in electric cars on the grid.

You knew I was going to bring this up!
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Electricity is a source now? Only if you're flying giant boxkites in the solar wind.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote