5th gear or neutral? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
among other things it'll depend on the rpms involved. dfco doesn't engage in most cars till 1800-2k rpm. unless you get the revs that high in 5th neutral will use less gas.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Your Cobalt with electric steering and manual transmission would be an ideal car for Engine-Off Coasting. As mentioned above, such a technique raises concerns with safety, other drivers, and traffic; also it raises legal questions. It should only be done by drivers who are 100% comfortable with it, and only where legal. Is it something you'd be interested in learning about?
this raises a question for me thats been buggin me: how would one know that you are in fact neutral coasting. it IS illegal in IL to be coasting down hill with the engine running mind you and the vehicle in neutral. BUT how the hell can anyone know if your in gear or not with a manual tranny?

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I have yet to figure out how anyone would know. Even if you were in an accident, I'm sure plenty of cars pop out of gear when the car flexes in a collision. Of course, if you're dumb enough to say "but I was just coasting in neutral, I wasn't trying to go fast" when you get pulled over for speeding....
Old 06-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

yea thats the only situation i could think of is if your dumb enough to say you were.

cuz in an accident you betcha the pop outa gear.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

Undercover cop as your passenger? Presumably you have other concerns in that event...

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Remember when coasting in neutral with the engine running - the faster you coast the higher the mileage reading.

I find that even keeping it in gear at moderate speeds and having it slow a little really pumps up the average mileage because of the DFCO which works in my xB down to less than 1000rpm when the engine is warmed up. Driving out to the Cape, my trip mileage jumped up quite a bit more than I expected when I DFCO down the back side of the Bourne Bridge in gear. Apparently 9999mpg really adds a lot to the average.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

I've been using fuel cut on del. since I heard that leaving it in gear gets better mileage. I did some research on ALLDATA on my car and when the tps% goes to 0 and the rpms are above like 800-900 the injectors cut off for emissions and economy.

Using it in different situations, mileage hasn't really greatly improved or declined but what I have noticed is that when you let off the throttle really rapidly its pretty harsh. espically when I feather the throttle and I get really close to 0% throttle. ( where I should probably ether speed up or throw it in neutral). Another thing, my front mount is practically gone! 89 civic.

I just thought about how the older civics have that dashpot that stops the throttle from closing to fast. that would technically reduce mileage cause the injectors would shut off later, but it would make the transition to fuel cut off a lot smoother.

The data for newer civic's is the same. at 0% throttle above 800-1000rpm the injectors cut off. and they don't have a dashpot and the front lower driver side mounts are always bad.

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote