Any Advice on Using a ScanGauge - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

IMO, you are wasting your time watching LOD or MAP or GPM.

Just keep TPS as low as possible to achieve desired speed to get best possible MPG

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Bob, if that's the case, why even buy a SG? There are very simple ways to make a go pedal depth gauge (besides knowing your ankle position)...

For me, TPS is 12 idle, driving it's 16-19. Not a lot of scale in there to work with and the major crux is the fact that on drive-by-wire vehicles, the computer is the controller of the throttle and it isn't even directly related to the TPS.

It is nice how the same tool can serve different people in many different ways.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Registered Member

TPS FAT
MPG FWT

I need the FWT because my grille is blocked, and I flick on the manual fan switch to prevent the water temp from getting above 200 F.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Bob, if that's the case, why even buy a SG? There are very simple ways to make a go pedal depth gauge (besides knowing your ankle position)...

For me, TPS is 12 idle, driving it's 16-19. Not a lot of scale in there to work with and the major crux is the fact that on drive-by-wire vehicles, the computer is the controller of the throttle and it isn't even directly related to the TPS.

It is nice how the same tool can serve different people in many different ways.
2 or 3% difference in TPS, which you won't notice at all if you couldn't see it, might be 7 to 10 mpg different. Maximizing the overall average mpg is all about getting the best mpg for the longest amounts of distance. When you know what TPS reading is needed to run at what speed, you just accelerate (I use 21 TPS usually) up to the desired speed and then back off to the correct TPS to maintain it.

BTW, on a small car in gallons, GPH doesn't say much because 1/10th gph is a lot of fuel. That's why I use TPS instead. With something that only gets 21 mpg and measuring in litres, I'm sure you have huge numbers to look at, and therefore they move a lot as you press on the gas or not. My GPH never gets over 2.0, so its very difficult to notice small changes while driving because its not accurate enough.

Waste not, want not.

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote