Anyone ever get tired of Hypermiling for a day? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinchsidehop View Post
Almost everyday in the winter... I work nights and when I leave our (very) large parking lot is empty. If it snows you better believe I take a couple of hot laps through the parking lot.

a) I love driving
b) I love going sideways
c) I love being at the limit of adhesion under 30mph
d) I the decreased grip actually makes the stock setup in a car *close* to a well prepped track car for the conditions.
e)*most important* I know what conditions are like before I leave on my commute.

BTW, a stock Legacy wagon drifts pretty in the snow well using feints and toe stabs, my mileage has dropped @ .375mpg. It's worth it.
hehe yea, chevette may be slow but my does it drift in such a low rpm/speed its crazy. yet you lt off the gas and it instantly corrects, unlike my truck which will keep going

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
It lets you choose when to waste fuel - and also stops you 'giving up' after some bad driving, since you see that you can still recover your FE afterwards.
EXACTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
hehe yea, chevette may be slow but my does it drift in such a low rpm/speed its crazy. yet you lt off the gas and it instantly corrects, unlike my truck which will keep going
werd. my cars VERY squirrely in the snow since I don't bother to deflate the tires from 50 psi. 1200 rpm in 4th gear (35mph) with decent snow. sideways is completely natural direction for me to be moving since most of my friends are track drifters. I waved at someone who stared at me (I wasn't trying that time...not that it matters much) it gave him a start :-p

I'm actually not much good at traditional donuts. I prefer twisty subdivision streets :-p I do parking lot width sideways circles tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
Nope... I am hardcore. Never letup -- ever. I drive all cars to the max. I just enjoy hypermiling. The one thing I have to admit, is to using the heat. Mornings here are a bit too cold to drive to work w/o heat.
how does using the heat waste gas? no, that's rhetorical. I still think you're nuts.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #13

I drive the Hot Rod and Corvette hard - they are once in a blue moon cars (OK - every other weekend I alternate on taking one out).

The Hot Rod gets around 15mpg when I take it easy. When I drive a little harder I usually average 10mpg. Love it as whoever happens to be my passenger is holding on for dear life. Most of the time I take someone out on a joyride I go hard. If its a kid it'll be an experience they talk about the rest of their life due to the specialty of the cars.

My daily drivers, hypermiling baby! - to an extent as I don't like to create too much of a line of cars behind me though I seem the finger about once a week EVEN when I'm in the right lane. Unfortunately it always is a twit sad sad Type A personality. Sorry - got off topic. YES! occasionally I like to take a day off.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
how does using the heat waste gas? no, that's rhetorical. I still think you're nuts.
By taking heat away from the engine. If you use the heat, especially soon after startup, then your engine takes longer to get into its optimal running condition. MPGs suffer during the warm up phase. My car has such a small engine, that even just coasting will noticeably make the temp guage start falling. Using the heat during the winter definitely hurts my FE.

Oh, and most hypermilers are nuts. Perhaps you would oneday like to join the club?

On a related note, it seems like gassavers.org has been inundated with people who are only half into saving gas. This used to be a really dedicated and hardcore website... but it seems like most of the top performers have moved on. Perhaps it is just the winter that scared everyone away, but I can't help but feel that the caliber of interest in hypermiling is going downhill.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #15
Registered Member

I think anyone who gains any kind of mpg is a good thing. All of us don't have high mileage vehicles to start with but any improvements help with conserving a resource. It will take the Dedicated Hypermilers to lead the way with lofty goals...and the rest of us will follow and do what we can.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #16

HERE HERE!!! You took some of the words I had to say right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
I think anyone who gains any kind of mpg is a good thing. All of us don't have high mileage vehicles to start with but any improvements help with conserving a resource. It will take the Dedicated Hypermilers to lead the way with lofty goals...and the rest of us will follow and do what we can.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
[QUOTE=Erdrick;88518]By taking heat away from the engine. If you use the heat, especially soon after startup, then your engine takes longer to get into its optimal running condition. MPGs suffer during the warm up phase. My car has such a small engine, that even just coasting will noticeably make the temp guage start falling. Using the heat during the winter definitely hurts my FE.
QUOTE]

I dont know how true it is, but Ive also heard that using the defroster or a combination including the defroster actually utilizes the air conditioning unit aswell. Why, I have no clue, thats what I heard. Doesn't matter to me as I dont have AC anyways..
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #18

Correct me if I'm wrong bu the A/C is supposed to remove humidity from my understanding.

When I had my Hondas I hacked them to turn off the A/C when the defroster was in use. There are some websites out there with directions, the ones I did it on had Climate Control systems - Civic Hybrid and Insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
I dont know how true it is, but Ive also heard that using the defroster or a combination including the defroster actually utilizes the air conditioning unit aswell. Why, I have no clue, thats what I heard. Doesn't matter to me as I dont have AC anyways..
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
My old job had a sweet setup for hypermiling but going in at 530 was just tooo early for me to constantly be thinking about what i'm doing. Then 4 in the afternoon traffic pretty much screwed the way home.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #20
Registered Member

When I'm alone in the car I tend to concentrate more on hypermiling, it give me something to do to pass the time. Plus watching my average MPG for the trip makes it feel like I'm playing a video game & trying to get the high score.

I've noticed that now even when I'm not paying close attention, the things I've learned hypermiling have affected my driving habits. Some fuel-saving techniques have become second nature. For instance, I used to average 70-80MPH on the highway, since buying Box and paying closer attention to my MPG I average 55-62MPH. This is so ingrained now that when I was "in a hurry" to get somewhere on Sunday I drove at 70MPH, and that felt fast (still got ~35MPG for the trip).

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote