Anyone ever get tired of Hypermiling for a day? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone ever get tired of Hypermiling for a day?

Sometimes...like today...I just feel like enjoying the ride without concentrating on throttle position/coasting/timing lights/speed/ect. It seems to happen every couple of months or so

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
The only part I tire of is being tailgated. Recently I did take a 120mile round trip on 65 and 70 mph highways just doing the speed limit steadily. I still got tailgated. I averaged 41mpg as I had gotten 44mpg on the same trip before using the hypermiling techniques. This was the beginning of my last fill-up and it's been dropping since back in town doing only short trips from light to light. coming on the final 1/4 tank I'm kinda wishing I'd gotten the extra 3mpg when it was more easily obtained. I never tire of timing light because I get no pleasure out of stopping. Tank has already dropped to 34mpg. I might not be as upset about it if I didn't have the ScanGauge in front of me.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I took off last weekend for a quick 2 mile run down the road and floored it in first to 6k rpm. The engine was already warmed up but the interesting thing was as I was going down the road after that the trip average was already in the 40's mpg and I was getting an instant of 50-60mpg. Seems the little first gear blast loosened up the engine a bit. The last two tanks have really dropped - not sure if it was the lack of acetone use or not but I put 4oz in the tank after I drove 20 miles back from the fillup. One interesting thing I notice is that after hypermiling for a while, the little blast of throttle sure seems to be a little more powerful than expected. I know a lot of guys that keep wanting more power in the xB and I can't see why they need more.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, I get tired of it sometimes. I just hypermile one car really hard and drive the others more normally.
I hypermile the silver one with the mods. The green one I just drive sort of normal. My wife's car I drive normal. This gives me breaks from working too hard at it. I have admitted before that I use the silver one on trips where I know I can do better.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
yep. could times a week I just floor it to 80 merging into the highway. stick shift (and my car in general) is just too much fun. maybe not a couple times a week but I don't avoid the tall pedal much in traffic
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
yep. could times a week I just floor it to 80 merging into the highway. stick shift (and my car in general) is just too much fun. maybe not a couple times a week but I don't avoid the tall pedal much in traffic
One advantage of hypermiling, and of having instant FE feedback, is that you can do extreme things, while still maintaing good FE. In my last Bluebird (the turbo one), I had been known to do 0-85 with full throttle, but then I would make that up by hypermiling more extremely once on a more quiet stretch of road It lets you choose when to waste fuel - and also stops you 'giving up' after some bad driving, since you see that you can still recover your FE afterwards.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Nope... I am hardcore. Never letup -- ever. I drive all cars to the max. I just enjoy hypermiling. The one thing I have to admit, is to using the heat. Mornings here are a bit too cold to drive to work w/o heat.
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

I quess the "antithesis" to this would be most people that drive without regard to MPG and "one day" every once in a while...they strive for MPG...

I would rather be on our side of the fence...and just eat chocolate on special days...
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
One time I gave it everything I had for an entire tank and got 78mpg, but I was soo burnt out that I didnt put much effort into the next two tanks. Some techniques have become natural to me now (like EOCing in certain spots that offer huge gains) but the tedious things are still hard to deal with.

And this cold weather just wants me to get from point A to point B asap.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyWalters View Post
Sometimes...like today...I just feel like enjoying the ride without concentrating on throttle position/coasting/timing lights/speed/ect. It seems to happen every couple of months or so
Almost everyday in the winter... I work nights and when I leave our (very) large parking lot is empty. If it snows you better believe I take a couple of hot laps through the parking lot.

a) I love driving
b) I love going sideways
c) I love being at the limit of adhesion under 30mph
d) I the decreased grip actually makes the stock setup in a car *close* to a well prepped track car for the conditions.
e)*most important* I know what conditions are like before I leave on my commute.

BTW, a stock Legacy wagon drifts pretty in the snow well using feints and toe stabs, my mileage has dropped @ .375mpg. It's worth it.

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote