Backing off EOC - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Backing off EOC

Getting to the point in age where I am going to use the AC when it hits the mid 90s temperature and humidity. It may cost me a few MPG but the comfort factor has now become priority number one. I figure since it cost $1000 in gas to drive 30,000 miles, spending another $100 in that time for AC and comfort is a small price to pay. Say 54 MPG versus 58.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I've been using my a/c as well. I just don't like showing up to a client's office all sweaty and gross.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Unless you're living in extreme poverty, I can't see why you'd put yourself through extreme discomfort to save a few dollars worth of fuel, especially when fuel is cheaper than water over there.

I'm still getting 50+ MPG with the AC on full blast on longer trips, hardly makes a difference, stop being tight

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Never mistake frugality for poverty. Our net worth is in the top 15% for the US. The poor choice is to rent depreciation, rent a house paying interest or any other form of "trading in tomorrow for today".

I live below my means and we provide a "jump start" for the next generation. They need it since we have also left them a $60,000 tab (national debt per citizen).

No mortgage debt is the largest tax free raise you can get.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
LDB
Registered Member

If I can't afford to go in air conditioned comfort then I can't afford to go period. And I'm also very disappointed with the nearly doubled debt the prior caliphate saddled us with.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Bought an 84 Honda CRX in Houston. Serial number 1018 made in July 1983. $7K new, no radio or AC. It was the 1.5 model. Averaged 44 mpg for 50k miles then sold it.
34 years ago. The 1.3 did 73 mpg in one test where they just drove it 55 mph, but I wanted 0-60 in less than 13.5 seconds, so I got the 1.5.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

I hypermile. Folks in other (non-Fuelly) forums have ridiculed me for doing so. Some have said things like "If you want to get the best fuel economy, why don't you drive a Prius Hybrid?" The answer is because I don't hypermile to get the best fuel economy possible. I hypermile to see how little fuel I can burn per distance, in my vehicle (the one I love), while not employing what I perceive as "undesirable measures."

For me, "undesirable measure" include:
  • Being meaningfully uncomfortable (e.g., no A/C and sweating, shivering without heating fans)
  • Safety risks (e.g., engine-off coasting)

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Today it was up to the mid 80s temperature, with slightly lower humidity. No AC necessary. Last tank was my worst ever at just under 50 mpg (60 brit). Last tank was mostly highway, interstates here are 70 mph (about 115 KMH). Also torrential rainfall, we call it a "gully washer". Bad enough for people to slow down to 25 MPH in a 55 mph zone and turn on the 4 way flashers (not me). Lots of AC and little EOC, it kills the AC to turn the engine off (you can get a little bit from the fan for a few seconds).
Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Unless you're living in extreme poverty, I can't see why you'd put yourself through extreme discomfort to save a few dollars worth of fuel, especially when fuel is cheaper than water over there.

I'm still getting 50+ MPG with the AC on full blast on longer trips, hardly makes a difference, stop being tight
Out of curiosity I checked the average temperatures in Great Britain. It hit 109 here (where I live) one day in the last two years. I think the all time record high for Britain was 38 centigrade. Works out to 100 (southern coast) give or take. Average summertime highs are about 70-75 degrees F.

If I lived there I would not own a car with AC. Seems like running max AC would be a waste of time. Who needs the complexity and potential repair costs of that.

Nice motorcycle riding weather. Got to love that great heat engine, the Gulf Stream, that keeps Britain from being a winter ice cube. you are about the same distance from the North Pole that I am from the equator.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Out of curiosity I checked the average temperatures in Great Britain. It hit 109 here (where I live) one day in the last two years. I think the all time record high for Britain was 38 centigrade. Works out to 100 (southern coast) give or take. Average summertime highs are about 70-75 degrees F.

If I lived there I would not own a car with AC. Seems like running max AC would be a waste of time. Who needs the complexity and potential repair costs of that.

Nice motorcycle riding weather. Got to love that great heat engine, the Gulf Stream, that keeps Britain from being a winter ice cube. you are about the same distance from the North Pole that I am from the equator.
Shows how much you know. AC is even more important in colder damper climates, I use mine far more in the winter when the damp air condenses on the inside of the windows. The AC clears it instantly as it's "dry air". Without it, you'd spend minutes in the winter mornings trying to heat the car up, wiping the windows and having the heating on max, very tedious.

And the UK is going through a heatwave currently, hottest June since 1976, with temps up to 34 Celsius. I had to place a cloth over the aluminium gear knob on my car yesterday as I physically couldn't touch it it was that hot.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Closed Thread