Benefits of drafting. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Registered Member

No point trying to get R.I.D.E to understand, he's too old and stubborn. Most of us are kind of bored of his rude, arrogant, niave, know it all "I've been driving like this for 10,000 years so I know better than anyone and I'm always right and you're always wrong" attitude, but he's entitled to be a douchebag if he so wishes.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

You don't have to be tailgating to gain the benefits of drafting. Following someone at the safe and legal distance takes less effort to push the air out of the way than being in front of them.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Traffic Cams | WAVY-TV
Old 10-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

I guess some people are to stupid to understand traffic. Check the HRBT entrance where a car passes the same point every SECOND during summer. Just check it at 5 PM then come back and preach to me about drafting.

YOU HAVE NO CHOICE and if your are to ignorant or stupid to understand that then it's on you.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

JockoT, as a comparison, what numbers do you post when NOT drafting?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
JockoT, as a comparison, what numbers do you post when NOT drafting?
At 50 mph, on my own, on a flat section of dual carriageway, my ScanGauge will show an Instantaneous mpg of 43 - 46 mpg.
At the same speed, 50 - 60 yards behind a large HGV (semi-trailer), and I can see 55 - 65 mpg, depending on prevailing wind direction (best improvement into a head wind).
Old 10-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

That's about the same number I observe Jocko T. I would be much happier if the roads here were deserted and actively pursue roads that are "less traveled". If you watched the video and are even capable of understanding that some people have to live in that environment then you might understand that it is possible to get great mileage even in the worst of scenarios, maybe not driving a cab in New York City.

Just coasting in neutral in crawling traffic, say 15 mph, it's possible to get 50+ mpg. My ultragauge shows 3-400 coasting at 50 mph, just push the clutch in and you're there.
I can double that mileage if I want to average 20 mph on a deserted road.

Want to argue 4 seconds versus 3, that's YOUR prerogative, my techniques have been honed to perfection, right lane always allows escape rout right. Big rigs here mean people pass them before climbing up there arse. That gives you an advantage just staying in the right lane behind one and keeping alert for whatever may come, prepared to instantly swerve right.

Of course there are those here who can barely navigate a two lane road with oncoming traffic. Now that is dangerous, when the nitwit, on the hand held device, drifts over into your lane at 100 mph combined.

I have stopped, blown my horn and flashed my lights to keep that nitwit from slamming into me at 50 mph, or run into the ditch 18 inches from the edge of the road, wreck you car and the nitwit just drives past you, oblivious to their surroundings.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #18
Registered Member

I always follow HGVs in the LH lane (same reason you use the RH lane). I only draft on a dual carriageway or motorway. Never on a two lane. Too much to go wrong on a two lane. Plus it gives fast drivers the chance to pass me, then pass the HGV when an opportunity arises.
I was drafting a HGV today when two cars pushed straight in from an on ramp and squeezed in between me and the HGV. Nutters.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #19
Registered Member

The truck drivers here are professionals as I am sure they are there. Even the total Morons in their jacked up crap crabbing down the road and tires that would make you deaf in 5 years or less, have enough sense to not mess with 18 wheelers. Seen one Chevy Citation that cut off a big rig. The truck rolled him sideways, under the front bumper, and pulled over into the median continuing on tow hundred yards, like a pavement roller truck, except the Citation was the roller. The driver died that day, call it culling the herd.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #20
Registered Member

The amount of ignorance I see in the average motorist while driving my rig would probably make some of you give up on humanity. I say ignorance because there's no shame in that; motorists really aren't taught at all how to deal with trucks. Until I started piloting one, I never knew just how much I wasn't taught.