Clueless anti-hypermilers... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Supporting Member

Clueless anti-hypermilers...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...8135217268.txt

" Just for your information in Illinois it is illegal to "coast" in your car. Its clearly stated in the Illinois vehicle Code you cannot drive down the road with the transmission disengaged. It is for saftey reason hench the no power steering or power brakes. "

The above was copied/pasted here from the comments section of that web page, including the misspelled words.

Last time I coasted in neutral, or with the clutch pedal down, as recently as this morning, I did not lose power steering and/or brakes.

Their ignorance speaks volumes.

davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

As with anything, journaists don't do enough research before writing. I was reading a trucking forum the other day that spoke very lowely of all hypermillers, because of one poorly writen news article that implied ALL hypermillers get dangerously close to the back of their trailers.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I read that ATA article too. If truckers don't want to be tailgated, they shouldn't tailgate us car drivers!!! I've driven through the "mountains" in PA and TN a few times. It's a terrifying experience to be driving 80+ just to keep pace, and see a semi truck grill in the rearview mirror. What a minute... that was the last time I was on the freeway in un-mountainous Michigan.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
If truckers don't want to be tailgated, they shouldn't tailgate us car drivers!!! I've driven through the "mountains" in PA and TN a few times. It's a terrifying experience to be driving 80+ just to keep pace, and see a semi truck grill in the rearview mirror.
I agree, everday I get tailgated by some a**hole truck driver that needs to tailgate my a** at 3" off the back bumper because I'm doing 55 in OMG a 55 MPH ZONE!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

To bring an element of local realism of the "anti-hypermiling" attitude, imagine your brother sitting in the front passenger seat complaining that "hypermiling takes too long." Fortunately for you, you may continue imagining that scenario. So his "solution" is to borrow mom's car and drive very "non-hypermilingly" and guess who gets to absorb the cost of his non-hypermiling driving? Yup, mom. Family can be so much fun. *sarcasm*
Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rGS View Post
To bring an element of local realism of the "anti-hypermiling" attitude, imagine your brother sitting in the front passenger seat complaining that "hypermiling takes too long." Fortunately for you, you may continue imagining that scenario. So his "solution" is to borrow mom's car and drive very "non-hypermilingly" and guess who gets to absorb the cost of his non-hypermiling driving? Yup, mom. Family can be so much fun. *sarcasm*
Sitting at the side of the road for 20 minutes while man in blue gets around to writing a $100 ticket. Bro, you had to get there 10 minutes ago. Now shut up!

Edit: "Shut up!" not directed to you rGS or anybody else here, unless you're my brother.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjh72 View Post
I read that ATA article too. If truckers don't want to be tailgated, they shouldn't tailgate us car drivers!!! I've driven through the "mountains" in PA and TN a few times. It's a terrifying experience to be driving 80+ just to keep pace, and see a semi truck grill in the rearview mirror. What a minute... that was the last time I was on the freeway in un-mountainous Michigan.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Dontcha just love I-96 in Michigan? Or for that matter, any highway?

2 lanes = bad news. The only way I can keep cars from tailgating and then flying around and changing lanes 2" in front of me is to follow a truck. Some truckers, I have found, really don't like that. What's even funnier is when a speedster wants to show me who's boss, and flies around me, only to find I'm drafting behind a truck. They swoop in only to find out they're now sandwiched between me and a truck.

Fortunately, it's conspicuous consumerism season again. This is the season where every household in Michigan takes everything from their garage and straps it onto their battle cruiser. I just follow one of them, and hopefully everybody thinks I'm part of the caravan.

Seriously, you don't want to drive anywhere near Grand Rapids on a Friday.

ma4t
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

What I don't get about these truckers is that they always draft other trucks. Late at night, I will often see a line of 5-10 trucks drafting each other much closer than any of us get. They seem to love drafting.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma4t View Post
Fortunately, it's conspicuous consumerism season again. This is the season where every household in Michigan takes everything from their garage and straps it onto their battle cruiser. I just follow one of them, and hopefully everybody thinks I'm part of the caravan.

Seriously, you don't want to drive anywhere near Grand Rapids on a Friday.

ma4t
Go on YouTube and search "top gear caravan". The non-RV'ing Brits hate campers - slowest thing on the road... trucks are faster than them.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
David: while many commenters DID put their ignorance on public display, this guy was correct (except for his poor spelling).
" Just for your information in Illinois it is illegal to "coast" in your car. Its clearly stated in the Illinois vehicle Code you cannot drive down the road with the transmission disengaged. It is for saftey reason hench the no power steering or power brakes. "

What got my attention was this person's claim that you lose steering and brakes with the transmission disengaged. If that were true, then manual transmissions should be banned because the moment you push down the clutch pedal or move the shifter out of gear, you're out of control - no power steering/brakes. Obviously not a driver of a manual transmission car.

Oh what did our grandparents ever do before the autotragic transmission? *sarc*