coasting with prius in neutral - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
FE nut

I verify that the engine is off mainly from the Scanguage showing 0 rpm's and also by sound/feel. When I first got the car I used only the computer screen but started using the Scanguage to verify engine-off when I felt the engine running when the screen showed it as off.

The EV switch is not offered on the Prius in America but I got one from Coastal Technologies.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Supporting Member

These cars are so awesome i want to try driving one but i don't know anyone with one.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

You cannot use the MFD or sound/feel to be absolute the engine is not running. In neutral the engine is very smooth and you will not be aware unless you have a scangauge.

Having said that the best thing to beginning hypermile in the Prius is to learn to glide. Once you learn to glide and pulse and glide then you can experiment with neutral.

Neutral typically works best when you have down slopes that will carry your glide over 40MPH. On the flat the difference is minimal. Neutral just disconnects the inverter and hybrid electronics from the MG's, especially MG2. You will still have the drag from the silent chain, reduction gears and power split device. An advantage to gliding over neutral is in glide there is a small 5 amp draw to MG2 that counters the friction of the above gear train. In neutral you'll still draw about 1-1.5 amp from the hybrid system for the DC-DC converter and more for the AC if its running. Neutral will not allow the engine to start and recharge the hybrid battery, nor will you get any regenerative braking energy back.

Above all else experiment, Larry has found somethings that work for him and he does very well. On my routes I never use neutral and my summer average, excluding my road trips, is in the mid 70's with a tank at 80.1 MPG. Best to go to cleanmpg.com and read Wayne Gerdes P&G article and go to PriusChat and look around. Oh, an engine block heater would help too.

Wayne
2005 Toyota Prius Package 6
Lifetime Prius MPG 54.5
Best Prius MPG 80.1
FireEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
These cars are so awesome i want to try driving one but i don't know anyone with one.
I'd prefer my manny VX over a Prius any day. Now if Toyota would be a nice company they'd make a Prius with a manual transmission for some happy fun FE. Does the Prius come in manual in any other countries?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #15
Registered Member

Manual-Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I'd prefer my manny VX over a Prius any day. Now if Toyota would be a nice company they'd make a Prius with a manual transmission for some happy fun FE. Does the Prius come in manual in any other countries?
Not to my knowledge. The whole propulsion system is based on the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, which is a complex CVT-based transmission. The best bet for a manual-hybrid is an older Honda (Civic or Insight).

I have the same feelings -- too bad you can't run through the gears...

How cool would a Manual CNG-Hybrid Civic be?

RH77