CODFISH or Pulse and Glide? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #41
Registered Member

Post I've decided to give the Geo a test

Since the filling up the Geo last night, I've been P&Ging everywhere I go. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Man alive, does it ever wear out my feet/legs! I was totally set out on proving that P&G doesn't work for my car, but the next fill shall be interesting. In city streets with a 50km/h maximum, I accelerate in 3rd gear to 60km/h, and then kill the engine and coast to 45km/h or so. That way I don't have people tailing me (pretty much the exact same technique I used with the Chrysler).

The SG is flickering on/off all the time and it's not correctly calibrated for the Geo anymore (was in the Chysler) but so far it says I've used 2.0 gallons and the dashboard odometer reads 104.8 miles driven ~52mpg. The Chrysler was much better at both accelerating and coasting.

Once the gas gauge reads at the 1/2 tank mark (3-4 gallons used) I'll fill up and see if this crazy style of driving was worth my time.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #42
Registered Member

Peakster - it's a proven technique for any normal gasoline, manual transmission car. If it's not working for you, there's a problem with the car: either rolling resistance, or the nut behind the wheel.

You could save yourself a lot of trouble with a kill switch - so you could use the SG and you'd have your answer in a few km.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #43
FE nut

In 36.4 miles today I was able to acheive 62.6 mpg by using 4th gear between 30-35 mph. Occasionaly my start and stop speeds varied but for the most part it was 30-35.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Since the filling up the Geo last night, I've been P&Ging everywhere I go. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Man alive, does it ever wear out my feet/legs!
Rev match to get out of gear -- if you perfect it, there's no resistance when getting out of gear That will reduce your footwork quite a bit Just don't go the other way around (unless you're ballsy)... It's like catching a softball with your mouth, it's doable - but you're likely to break a few teeth

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #45
Registered Member

Okay, I guess P&G does work in the Geo too . 66.97 MPG fillup using the technique nearly 100% of the time in the city. At first the gas gauge fell like a rock, but then I was like: "Is it stuck? It's not moving and I've been driving for hours!!" I just wish the Geo could coast a little longer than 2 blocks .

And here I thought I was going to need to make another video
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #46
Registered Member

Ladies and gentlemen: I think we have a convert!

Glad you got your answer.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #47
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Ladies and gentlemen: I think we have a convert!

Glad you got your answer.
Peakster-

My last fill for the Peugeot (relatively old, big, heavy and nearly 2 liters!!!) was nearly 44 mpg, I had one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the ignition key!!!! If the engine was not working hard it was off.

P&G works baby!!

But it is way too much work, forgetaboutit. Stick with acetone.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote