CVT hypermiling techniques - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
I'm thinking about the 2015 honda Fit that will be equipped with a CVT or now a 6 speed manual transmission but apparently no longer gearing on the 6 speed manual.
Probably will wait at least a year to make sure they have the CVT right, honda is relatively new to CVT. My mazda 2 is doing fine at 40.2 MPG overall (EPA 35 highway) in 51000 miles with about 65% highway miles.
Thanks for all the helpful input.
Lou
Did you mean as the 5 speed. That has been a long time complaint about the Fit manual. Short gearing is common among US manuals. I know the 6th gear on the Sonic is a second overdrive, but since most people that want a manual here want it for performance reason, the manufacturers gear them accordingly.

So our automatics tend to be rated better on the tests due to having better ratios for efficiency. Manuals would do better with all else being equal, but we have lazy reviewers. That take points off if they have to downshift out of top gear to pass.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I cant stand auto's.
No way I would buy one with a 4 cylinder engine, especially in a mountainous area. Never driven a CVT, but many reviewers complain of the annoying droning sound.

The EPA test procedure usually gives CVT's & autos better MPG numbers but a properly driven manual will easily beat the numbers of a CVT, especially in stop & go traffic.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

CVT's don't behave like normal automatics, but those who tend to choose vehicles with CVT's buy them because they're not normal automatics. For the most part, I think that they are limited to the geeky/nerdy/enthusiast types with the exception of some manufacturers are programming them to behave like traditional automatics.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopitup View Post
No way I would buy one with a 4 cylinder engine, especially in a mountainous area. Never driven a CVT, but many reviewers complain of the annoying droning sound.
The only sound I've heard about (or heard in the few I've driven) was merely the steady engine note, not rising and falling like a car with gears. Is that the droning sound you've heard about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
CVT's don't behave like normal automatics, but those who tend to choose vehicles with CVT's buy them because they're not normal automatics. For the most part, I think that they are limited to the geeky/nerdy/enthusiast types with the exception of some manufacturers are programming them to behave like traditional automatics.
I don't think that's the case at all. Perhaps within the auto enthusiast market it's the geeky/nerdy types who specifically choose it, but by and large I think it's accepted by non-enthusiasts who are unaware and/or apathetic. My mom doesn't care; it was a mere footnote to her as part of choosing the car that was right for her and I'm sure she has completely forgotten by now.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The only sound I've heard about (or heard in the few I've driven) was merely the steady engine note, not rising and falling like a car with gears. Is that the droning sound you've heard about.
Yes, the lack of gear changes kinda like having a high stall speed torque converter.

Saw a neat review of a new Lexus hybrid yesterday. They addressed the engine note by using the cars sound system to replicate what it would sound like with a conventional auto. The reviewers really liked they way it improved the overall driving experience.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Interesting. I don't know why that bothers folks. Although I usually have the engine drowned out in music, I wouldn't care if it made the sound of a steady RPM being held. What I would miss is the feel of the gear change (and in automatics that are too smooth, I do miss it as much as I would in a CVT). I like the feel, the little kick in the pants. It wouldn't bother me but I'd miss it.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I have a CVT in my FEH. The CVT as mentioned earlier already chooses the optimum throttle position and gear ratio for the amount of torque requested by the driver (via the accelerator pedal). There isn't much else to do. Most of the work is already done for you. Only thing I do extra is I will Neutral glide down moderate inclines.
I think this is correct. The CVT will usually maintain a low constant RPM when the accelerator pedal is moderately pressed up to a point when the engine will start to use higher rpm:s. This feels like a clutch becomes loose inside the transmission but is actually the limit to how much the throttle is useful in that low constant rpm before the electronics decide that a higher rpm is needed to deliver the requested torque on the wheels.

I would think using moderate throttle up to before that point is reached would be optimum from a fuel efficiency point of view or maybe limiting the revs to 3k when higher acceleration is useful or when going uphill etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

I just get today 3.2L/100 in My Toyota Auris TS HSD with some of these technics applied.

In my case the rule are simple. Try to get the motor more hot as possible, which include moderate with accelerator at same time but near to the Eco border, to reach the cruise speed as soon as possible. Not to use the cruise control and then try to mantain the speed but never going up to much from the Eco mid level and if I do so I quick step out to let the Ev coming in place.

Avoiding to use the A/C whenever is possible and any auxiliary system like lights etc.

Cruise speed should be around the 102Km/h

Regards,
Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
Are there any hypermiling techniques that work with CVT transmissions?
Thanks,
Lou
All hypermiling techniques work with a CVT transmission.
NiCE is soo much easier using an eCVT.
It can be illegal in certain places though...

drydem is offline   Reply With Quote