Engine Off - trip meter doesn't move on VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Engine Off - trip meter doesn't move on VX

i started some hypermiling techniques with my civic vx. shut off the engine on a backroad downhill using the key, problem is the trip odometer doesn't turn with engine off. that does nothing to improve mpgs on paper. how do you get around this?

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Did you turn the key back to "On" once the engine was off?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Hmm...do you have a GPS? Maybe it can keep track of your mileage.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
jmf
Registered Member

I always turn the key back on so the speedo works. If the speedo is working the odometer should be right, I think?

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

apparently, i didn't have the key all the way on. the radio was on, so i assumed everything else was. tested it this morning to confirm.
next tank should be the best one yet provided i can get some hwy miles in.
thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

You will lose brake power with engine off, and couldn't your wheel simply block?

A simply neutral is much more safe, imo.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

You still have enough brake power to stop the car a few times. It runs out if you pump the brake pedal, but if you step on it and hold it down it'll be just like the engine is on.

The steering wheel won't lock unless you turn the key all the way to "Lock" rather than merely far enough to kill the engine (and don't turn it back to "On" once the engine's off).

However, engine-off coasting is not right for everyone. Anyone not comfortable with it should not do it. It should also not be done anywhere that it is illegal.

I recommend trying it just so you're familiar with how your car drives with the engine off. That way, in case of a malfunction that causes the engine to stall or a stuck throttle that requires you to shut the engine off, you already know how to safely control the car with the engine off.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Its find if you know those things and keep them in mind. Not everyone knows it, and when you going downhill at more then 40 mph, it is not time for a suprise.

The main point would be, what is the gain from engine off vs neutral, probably worthless.

If you crashed yourself and are injured for 3 months, there will be your saving on gas from being in wheelchair at home.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, knowing those things and not being surprised when you're going downhill is exactly why I advise all drivers to try it out once, even if they prefer to burn as much fuel as possible.

What is gained for hypermilers is not worthless. It is worth as much fuel as the same amount of time spent idling at a stop. What is gained from doing it once for the experience is the ability to safely stop a vehicle instead of ending up dead when your throttle gets stuck, as has happened a few times lately for Toyota drivers.

To add to my previous statements about not doing it: In addition to not doing it if you're not comfortable with it or it's illegal, you should also not do it if you cannot do it safely.