From a stop should car be gunned up to speed? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hypermiling
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
kps
Registered Member

My test is here: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3021

I did use WOT and did not coast at all, and still got better mileage accelerating quickly. (This is with a standard transmission, of course; I have no idea how to drive efficiently without 2D control.)

kps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Registered Member

I currently accelerate like grandma. I have totally changed my driving habits. I want to go thru a few more tanks of gas before I change anything. Then, I am going to try and re-train myself to take off quick, and cruise more. To me, my ultimate goal is to train myself to drive as efficiently as possible, without being incredibly annoying on the highway...

Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member

awesome info.... I might have to start off a little faster with the camaro... i like being able to skip gears... i have been running 1-2-4-6 but i think i might just take it up a little higher in 1st and go 1-4-6 :P

GasSavers_PyroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Hey! that rain example was really good and clear as to what to do in a tornado!
GasSavers_jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Hey! that rain example was really good and clear as to what to do in a tornado!
lol, good anology... I always figured I would ditch gas mileage and hope 160mph top speed gets me out of the way of a tornado

GasSavers_PyroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Shark
The only time its ok to "gun it up to speed" is if u do it all the way....to 165MPH
MNHS knows wut I'm talkin bout

The Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
O.K. the question is, from a stop, should one quickly accelerate up to a optimum operating speed where there will be the best mpg. Or should one accelerate , ....This is a physics/math question. ... Should one walk or should one run for it, to stay the dryest? ... So we can mix MPG, Rain & physics/Einstien together and save money and gas.
Always consider the extremes in cases like this. If you were to go superfast and get there in half a sec, you would get hit with EVERY single raindrop in front of you as you run into it before it hits the ground, but for only one second. Still, thats quite a bit of rain since its every piece for 300 feet. However, its a FINITE amount. Its only the number of drops that lie in front of you for that second. rain above you wont fall fast enough. Now the second option is to crawl like a turtle. Rain hits you at a slower pace but for an unimaginably long time. An infinitely slow speed amkes your time in the rain infinitely long and thus the number of raindrops alas, also approaches infinity. If the gas works in the same manner, I say GUN IT.
With that said I would assume that there is some middle ground where the gas mileage takes an exponential turn for the worse when you reach a certain level of acceleration and/or rpm. If MPG decreaes linearly with acceleration then I say gun it and actually mean it
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shark View Post
The only time its ok to "gun it up to speed" is if u do it all the way....to 165MPH
MNHS knows wut I'm talkin bout
lol yeah i do!!