Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: I've noticed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Via the ScanGauge, I noticed something. I figured that coasting in Drive would be more efficient because of the FI cutoff
are you sure your automatic has a cutoff? i'd be surprised.

Quote:
When forced to idle in Neutral and coast, the FE goes up considerably, even at slower speeds.
i noticed teh same thing in my mom's camry automatic when i borrowed it to find its EPA highway speed. while driving through town, the coasting in N beat coasting in D.

i keep telling people, sure you won't have the power of a manual transmission but you can still save gas. Just abuse N and don't use your brakes.... but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO people think I'm rubbish....

enjoy paying for the gas sucker. If you haven't noticed, in D there's a potenial truth that somehow the gasoline engine is still feeding power to the torque converter which in turns go to the wheels. With it in N all power to the torque converter is now CUT and enough gas is pumped into the engine to prevent stalling.

By putting it in N you elminate the middle man, doesn't matter if D coasts as well as N, there's still resistance from the torque converter!.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #22
Registered Member

Re: I've noticed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Via the ScanGauge, I noticed something. I figured that coasting in Drive would be more efficient because of the FI cutoff
are you sure your automatic has a cutoff? i'd be surprised.

Quote:
When forced to idle in Neutral and coast, the FE goes up considerably, even at slower speeds.
i noticed teh same thing in my mom's camry automatic when i borrowed it to find its EPA highway speed. while driving through town, the coasting in N beat coasting in D.
From what I've read, I heard that the fuel injectors give slight pulses of fuel on decel instead of complete cutoff, but I didn't consider it to be a significant amount of fuel. As far as know, it pulses until around 800-900 rpm, then it kicks-into full injection mode to maintain idle, even in gear. Neutral coasting has yielded huge benefits, believe you me.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
back to N

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more testing on my car. Without the immediate feedback of a scangauge I have to wait through about half a tank to get any kind of estimation. Even then the trfiic around here is so fickle that I could very well see nothing.

mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #24
Registered Member

coast speed limit

Did anyone ever figure out if there was a limit to the speed you can coast an automatic in neutral? There's a hill on the highway that I could coast down but my speed would be around 55-60mph
Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #25
*shrug*

What do you mean by limit to

What do you mean by limit to the speed?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #26
Registered Member

is there a limit to the

is there a limit to the point where it wouldn't be good for the tranny to shift from N to D. I remember seeing a thread from Compaq about this but I think they only resolved the "DO not N-bomb" for an auto.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #27
*shrug*

That's only for revving high

That's only for revving high in neutral. You're transmission should be seamless anywhere if you're not revving it up. My friend's 02 civic will slip in and out of gear at any speed. Lucky him, mine does the whole grinding, jerking, N to D ****,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
Registered Member

that's what I thought and

that's what I thought and hoped for. I've tried it a couple times and it seemed to work ok. I'm just paranoid cause it's still new. I'm starting to think that buying a new car wasn't such a good idea. My 01 civic coupr was awesome cause it was too old to void the warranty but still new enough that you didn't have to worry about it. Still pissed at that bastard that rear-ended me and drove off.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #29
Registered Member

Re: Fuel Injector shut-off while Coasting

If you want to be sure you're car is shutting off the fuel injectors when coasting try this. Put a on/off switch on your fuel pump relay and shut the fuel pump off when coasting or slowing. If you do see an increase in mileage then maybe it's not and if it is, it's not doing it very efficiently. If you don't see a difference then it's working as stated and you need not change anything. Also, check this out. (my invention) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpw_7eTelxg
cardwell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Fuel Injector shut-off while Coasting

This thread has been dead for 5 years.

Anyway, better to hook it up to your fuel injectors. Shutting off your fuel pump will allow your injectors to continue operating until pressure runs out. Not only will that use fuel but it may throw a code for running lean, and it also delays restarting the engine if your fuel pump doesn't build pressure fast enough.

Hooking it up to the fuel injectors is as easy as interrupting the common ground wire used by them all. I don't know if all designs include a ground wire or if some just allow the injectors to ground naturally.