Help, Codfishing - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
Remove the steering wheel lock. I did this years ago for Honda-Challenge rules and I don't miss it at ALL. There have been plenty of times that I didn't have my keys on my, but wanted to push the car somewhere. =)
You know, I've actually considered this and may just go ahead and go through with it.

Do you have to remove the key cylinder from the column? I know there are those bolts with the snapped off heads to get past, but that should be no biggie.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #22
Registered Member

Yaa know I may do that! I believe you have to remove the key assembly, which means getting past those bolts, then you should be able to use a dremel or a cutoff wheel, to remove the piece that pokes into the steering wheel column when the key is turned off. It certainly would make it safer to do Codfishing, since I wouldn't have the possibility of locking up the steering inadvertantly. Thanks.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
You know, I've actually considered this and may just go ahead and go through with it.

Do you have to remove the key cylinder from the column? I know there are those bolts with the snapped off heads to get past, but that should be no biggie.
I honestly don't remember if you do or not, I'll go look at the clyinder and see if it has the stock bolts (break off heads) or not.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #24
Registered Member

Actually, this brings up a question. What is the purpose of steering wheel lock anyway??? Is it supposed to be anti-theft or something else?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Actually, this brings up a question. What is the purpose of steering wheel lock anyway??? Is it supposed to be anti-theft or something else?
Ya, I think its suppose to be an anti-theft / safety thing. Keeps your tires pointed towards the curb on steep slopes and slows theives down.

Looks like I replaced the old stock break-off head style bolts with some regular ones, I kinda remember just grabbing the old heads with a pair of vice-grips to get them off. I have some M12's from my giant box of honda bolts in there now.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
Ya, I think its suppose to be an anti-theft / safety thing. Keeps your tires pointed towards the curb on steep slopes and slows theives down.

Looks like I replaced the old stock break-off head style bolts with some regular ones, I kinda remember just grabbing the old heads with a pair of vice-grips to get them off. I have some M12's from my giant box of honda bolts in there now.
Cool. I think I'm going to do this since I already have my dash out and column apart. How did you take out the lock? Grind it down or what?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
Registered Member

If you have a dremel type of tool, maybe you could use it to cut a straight blade slot in the top of the bolt head. Alternatively if you have a 4" cutoff tool, you can use the edge of the wheel to cut a slot.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #28
Registered Member

Out of the Helm:

http://www.zealautowerks.com/images/11-37.pdf
Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #29
Registered Member

Feedback: If anyone else decides to do this, I have some hard earned experience.
1) The picture's look like you should drill from the right hand side of the steering column. I don't think the graphic artist considered that looking at the column, in the car, the bolt heads which need to be drilled are on the LEFT hand side of the steering column.

2) Also, once you get the bottom one off, you should be able to put in a key, turn on the switch, rotate the whole assembly, so that you can get the drill to what was the top bolt.

3) Finally, after removing the key lock, I had to use a high speed cuttoff tool to cut the tang off of the key assembly that lock's the steering wheel. Good part, I don't have to worry about locking my steering up, accidentally, while Codfishing.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Feedback: If anyone else decides to do this, I have some hard earned experience.
1) The picture's look like you should drill from the right hand side of the steering column. I don't think the graphic artist considered that looking at the column, in the car, the bolt heads which need to be drilled are on the LEFT hand side of the steering column.

2) Also, once you get the bottom one off, you should be able to put in a key, turn on the switch, rotate the whole assembly, so that you can get the drill to what was the top bolt.

3) Finally, after removing the key lock, I had to use a high speed cuttoff tool to cut the tang off of the key assembly that lock's the steering wheel. Good part, I don't have to worry about locking my steering up, accidentally, while Codfishing.
Thanks for the good explanation!