how do you use your scangauge? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question how do you use your scangauge?

i was thinking about buying a scangauge2

but i was wondering, aside from driving slower and accelerating easier that it seems you could do without a scangauge, how do you use the scangauges info to adjust your driving, or in what ways have you been able to adjust your driving with the scangauge?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
*shrug*

It's amazing for finding sweetspots in cruising speed, throttle pressure, and stuff luck that. Also, you can test out mods and techniques on the fly. Besides that, it just gives you some motivation to make every day a challenge.

Go for it!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Supporting Member

2000mc -

It's a really good "bio-feedback" device where you are the brain and the ECU/PCM is the heart.

Also, the SGII is moving in the direction of having alot more features, and datalogging, so it is getting better.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

I pay a great deal of attention to the LOD information.

In the city I try and accelerate at 50 - 60 LOD so that I can get into OD quickly but without dumping too much fuel out the tailpipe. My mileage is much worse until I hit 5th or start coasting in neutral.

On the open highway, I watch the LOD like a hawk, especially when the terrain rolls. For me, 55 mph on a flat corresponds to a LOD of about 35. I try and keep the load around there. I use my cruise control +/- buttons and as I start going up hills, I back off using the - button in small increments (the instant MPG indicator has me convinced that my thumb is far smoother than my foot). On the mildest of uphill slopes I stay under 40 but I let my speed bleed off. More progressive slopes I stay under 50 and the worst of the normal highway grades under 60. What I try and do is crest a hill around 50 or whatever minimum speed traffic will allow given the hill. Trucks with 4 ways help.

Likewise when I crest the top and the LOD starts falling below the mid 30s I start tapping the + button to bump up the load and speed, although I keep a maximum speed in mind of around 65 mph because I have the aerodynamics of a brick. Works for me - basically it is applying a more constant level of power to the vehicle than what you would get following the terrain at a fixed speed.

I do wish it had a function that showed RPM/Speed so that you could measure and compare overall gearing between different gears or vehicles and more importantly for us slushbox owners see the TC slippage more easily when that number starts increasing as speed decreases or LOD increases...

I'd order a second one tomorrow if it had that!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
I do wish it had a function that showed RPM/Speed so that you could measure and compare overall gearing between different gears or vehicles and more importantly for us slushbox owners see the TC slippage more easily when that number starts increasing as speed decreases or LOD increases...
o.0 Mine does RPM and Speed.... My firmware revision is 3.0.1 (or 3.1 - whatever the case)

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Its great for automatic cars because it will tell you what speeds to not cruise at. My mothers astro has some nasty FE flat spots below 40mph because the convertor wouldn't lock(overdrive). It has no tach and the engine is very quite.

The scangauge will pay for itself eventually. Your mileage will go up. Its handy , I use mine to pull codes fairly often. Its greatest feature is entertainment. It will turn a boring commute into a competition. Your passengers will assume a lasp in your sanity. Lastly linear logic is a good company there are progressively improving and offering updates, they also have excellent customer service.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

What is LOD?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

LOD is load... how hard the engine is working. If you were riding a bicycle it would be how hard your cardio system is working.

I'm guessing the new horsepower display would be more or less the same.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Can't forget about the trip computer

It'll track FE, average speed, gallons used, etc. on a tank, day, or current trip. If you're serious about knowing how to drive to get the best FE, a ScanGauge is practically mandatory.

For the 'Teg, I generally watch the instant MPG like most, but also coolant temps to get a feel for when the auto-trans is ready for TC lockup. I also need to monitor Intake Air Temps with my current setup.

RH77

EDIT: ...and it comes in handy for pulling trouble codes, which is also a big plus.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

rh77, you sound like another person who would benefit from a calculated RPM/MPH number so that you could tell when there's slippage...