Humble request about ScanGauge 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Humble request about ScanGauge 2

Good Morning.

I've done a couple of searches on the subject of the scan gauge 2 here in the forums. Among the threads that popped up, none of them were thorough in it's use in direct application to efficient mpgs. Most of the threads answer the poster's immediate questions and did not elaboratE.

If I over looked a thread, please point me in the right direction? I guess I'm looking for a post which will tell me the how to's of all the gauges from the scangauge or even the supermid. What may be the best guages to monitor? If starting out (ie rookie hypermiler), which gauge to pay attention to? What to do exactly with each information...*ie how to drive according to the read out... etc...etc...etc.. A basic how to along the lines of the post that can be found on how to P & G..

And if there is no post to be found, if an experienced member would kindly do a write up for those of us who are rookies at hypermiling and the scanguage? Basically applying the hypermiling methods using scangauge information?

Again, thank you.

Dave

RningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Good questions. I've wondered about this myself. I've found LOaD and Average Fuel Economy to be my most watched gauges. I shoot for 85-90 LOD and use AFE for feedback. It will depend on your vehicle though.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

I use the TPS (throttle position sensor) setting and the instantaneous MPG readouts quite a bit to modulate my acceleration. Try to keep the TPS number low, meaning you're using the least amount of throttle. The instantaneous readout is good for monitoring your MPG on the go and finding your most efficient cruising speed - for me it's 46mph @ 53mpg in my Focus. Other things that can help are the FWT (degrees water temperature) - this lets you know when the car is warmed up, information that fuel injected cars use to run "closed loop", their most efficient setting.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

On the SuperMID, I'm mainly monitoring the injector pulsewidths, the 5km average Km/L, and the total average Km/L.