Hypermiling a V6/V8? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,111
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
theholycow, you didn't follow exactly what you should do because I'm pretty sure you didn't do much engine braking, but what you did was better than going easy on the car.

The rebel forum that I rarely post at people say that after a long 400-500 mile trip on the freeway they usually have to top the oil off after the trip and they're like that from when they are new. My bike was taken on a trip that was 650 miles round trip and didn't need topped off when it came back because of the way it was broken in.

Brakes and engines are pretty similar. Usually I'll idle a new engine up to temp, let it completely cool down then idle it up to temp for the break-in and that's where I go a few miles between on the throttle and engine braking. Doesn't bode well for your first tank of gas but the engine will thank you. The only reason I don't idle up to temp more than twice is because any more than that and you risk not being able to bed the rings. After 20-30 miles of the car actually being driven you've lost your chance at a decent break-in.

I do brakes the same way except I heat them up and cool them down in my oven at home a few times first like I do small engines. Up to 250-275 degrees then back down to room temp cooling slowly about 3-4 times. The brakes get installed then I ride them hard doing 3 35-10mph slows, 2 45-10mph slows and 2 75-10mph slows. NEVER completely stop the car until you get home and you stop completely using the handbrake and let the rotors cool completely before driving again. I did this with a set of brembo rotors and carbon metallic pads on my Cressida and they still had half of their life left after 96K miles. You know when you've done it right because the rotor turns a golden color it gets so hot.
__________________

__________________
- Kyle
dkjones96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
 
ShadowWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 172
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post




I do brakes the same way except I heat them up and cool them down in my oven at home a few times first like I do small engines.
Strangely enough Samurai Swords Smith Masters have a process where they heat the full blade up and paint a clay on the blade to slow the cooling process down, apparently this allows the molecules to line up with each better, maybe something similar is happening in the engines and brake discs your talking about?
__________________

__________________
Water is fuel, I just don't know how to make it work yet.
ShadowWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,111
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
Strangely enough Samurai Swords Smith Masters have a process where they heat the full blade up and paint a clay on the blade to slow the cooling process down, apparently this allows the molecules to line up with each better, maybe something similar is happening in the engines and brake discs your talking about?
That's exactly what i'm talking about. It relieves the stresses from machining for the most part.
__________________
- Kyle
dkjones96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It sounds almost like you're talking about standard heat treating/tempering.
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterofLuv View Post
As for the V6 Mustangs, I'm not sure what SuperSix Motorsports said about them, but I do know that Ford 4.0 engines have long suffered from lubrication problems around the valves and rocker arms that cause them to wear out faster than they should. You'd think in the 20 years Ford's built them they would have sorted this out, but they never did.
Ah - the 4.0 in the Mustangs is a different engine. It's a SOHC Cologne V6, not 3.8-based pushrod V6 that were in the trucks. The pushrod motors are widely reviled unless they're being turbo/supercharged. Ford started putting the SOHC 4.0 in in Explorers and Rangers for the 2001 model year and up -- I haven't heard anything bad about 'em. 42k miles on mine, some of the Explorer/Ranger guys are over 100k with no such problems that I'm aware of. I never got to test-drive the Corvette, because I just totally fell in love with the 4.0 and stopped looking.

I really, REALLY love my Mustang. Sure, I pay more in gas than if I drove some soulless plastic econobox, but I also know that, after a horrible day, I can jump in the car, mash the go pedal, and be grinning and giggling like a kid in seconds. That's priceless. Greeny gets me from place to place, yes, but he's also my hobby, my walkman, and my antidepressant.

I've always felt bad for people who see cars solely as transportation. I mean, odds are you're going to spend a fair chunk of your life in cars, so you'd better make sure they're cars that are good to be in. That said, there's no sense in throwing away any more money than you need to.

Edit: Supersix said the heads and pistons wouldn't tolerate any quantity of boost, which has been proven to be false by scads of forced-induction 4.0s
__________________
GasSavers_Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #36
Registered Member
 
ShadowWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 172
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I really, REALLY love my Mustang. Sure, I pay more in gas than if I drove some soulless plastic econobox, but I also know that, after a horrible day, I can jump in the car, mash the go pedal, and be grinning and giggling like a kid in seconds. That's priceless. Greeny gets me from place to place, yes, but he's also my hobby, my walkman, and my antidepressant.

You do realise that you, we and I are victims of programming or commercial propaganda, from a young age we are exposed to bright toy cars, we have stories about cars as happy noble characters, The car industry and society use these anthropomorphism to sell cars as part of the family, that is some how represents you, which is does not and never could, but it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I've always felt bad for people who see cars solely as transportation. I mean, odds are you're going to spend a fair chunk of your life in cars, so you'd better make sure they're cars that are good to be in.
To be honest that is exactly what they are, we are not enslaving animals in the horse and cart, you know I look at the free way I see a single person per car in probably 90% of the cars out there, we need a society that does not require use to be so dependant on cars, out cities are badly designed and planned, its a mess.
__________________
Water is fuel, I just don't know how to make it work yet.
ShadowWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #37
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
You do realise that you, we and I are victims of programming or commercial propaganda, from a young age we are exposed to bright toy cars, we have stories about cars as happy noble characters, The car industry and society use these anthropomorphism to sell cars as part of the family, that is some how represents you, which is does not and never could, but it works.
I am well aware that I am not my car. However, whenever I'm in a bad mood or having a bad day, I can go carve up some corners and blast down some roads, and when I return I am grinning from ear to ear. Acceleration, with all the noise and mechanical theater that follows it, is the best antidepressant for me. Nothing else, compares to a rip in the Mustang. It's not an advertisement of how cool I am or how much money I make (considering I picked mine up for ~17k a year ago, which ain't much), just a car that's intensely fun to drive that excites and lifts the spirit. That's what a sports car should do.

Quote:
To be honest that is exactly what they are, we are not enslaving animals in the horse and cart, you know I look at the free way I see a single person per car in probably 90% of the cars out there, we need a society that does not require use to be so dependant on cars, out cities are badly designed and planned, its a mess.
(shrug) I wouldn't worry too much about it. But I'd really suggest test-driving some fun cars. I myself refuse to drive any car, no matter how status-soaked, flashy, safe, or fuel-efficient, that doesn't connect with me on an emotional level. Why not have a car that's also a toy? I prefer being happy to being frustrated and irritated, and I don't mind paying more for it.

That said, a gallon of 87 is $5.33 here, so I'm starting to regret not getting an S2000
__________________
GasSavers_Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #38
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 29
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I am well aware that I am not my car. However, whenever I'm in a bad mood or having a bad day, I can go carve up some corners and blast down some roads, and when I return I am grinning from ear to ear. Acceleration, with all the noise and mechanical theater that follows it, is the best antidepressant for me. Nothing else, compares to a rip in the Mustang. It's not an advertisement of how cool I am or how much money I make (considering I picked mine up for ~17k a year ago, which ain't much), just a car that's intensely fun to drive that excites and lifts the spirit. That's what a sports car should do.



(shrug) I wouldn't worry too much about it. But I'd really suggest test-driving some fun cars. I myself refuse to drive any car, no matter how status-soaked, flashy, safe, or fuel-efficient, that doesn't connect with me on an emotional level. Why not have a car that's also a toy? I prefer being happy to being frustrated and irritated, and I don't mind paying more for it.

That said, a gallon of 87 is $5.33 here, so I'm starting to regret not getting an S2000
Well said. Although I don't have a sports car, I do own a Jeep Liberty and use it quite extensively during the fall months because I like to hunt. I also like to camp and tend to do a fair bit of fishing. While my Festiva could take me most of the places I like to go, there are so many others that it simply can't go. It also isn't capable of packing a canoe.

Sure it cost more in gas, insurance and general operation, but I fully understood that when I bought it last year. Like you and zipping around the roads, my jeep brings me great pleasure when I explore the back roads for days on end. Other than that, had I wanted a shiny status symbol, I'm sure I could have found something better than a Liberty or my current combination of a liberty and festiva particularly a festiva that has pink and purple splooshes on the side!

To each their own I guess and I agree, the OP should test out a few different vehicles to see which on fits the bill. Although my brother just bought an 01 Cherokee, he hasn't had the opportunity to test it out on the highway to see what it gets. It is pretty low, but hypermiling should help it exceed the EPA.

N
__________________
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #39
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,111
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I do the same. In a bad mood I go for a hard drive. My car just doesn't cut it right now and it's something only a nice powerful car can help with and is why I decided to ditch the Civic Si or even the V6 Mustang in favor of a GT and Whipple supercharger kit.

On just an overall bad day I love to drive in the middle of nowhere blasting music just cruising along at night. Not the most fuel efficient ways to clear my head but it works for me.
__________________
- Kyle
dkjones96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
 
ShadowWorks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 172
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Why not have a car that's also a toy?
Track cars are Adult Toys, road cars are not in my opinion because its a 2 ton wrecking ball, I don't even want to think about all the drivers and by standers killed every year, I think in China over a million people die from car accidents alone, a car is not a toy even if we treat it as such, I can't think of another toy that can kill a whole family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
I prefer being happy to being frustrated and irritated, and
Your the same as the rest of the 6 billion people on this planet.

Quote:
I don't mind paying more for it.
That is why we have the haves and have nots in this world, not really fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
That said, a gallon of 87 is $5.33 here, so I'm starting to regret not getting an S2000
I just paid $40 US for 17 litres of fuel, you don't know how good you have it man.
__________________

__________________
Water is fuel, I just don't know how to make it work yet.
ShadowWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mitsubishi L200 S T O R M V6 consumption increase 2drive General Fuel Topics 3 06-03-2011 03:30 AM
new....somewhat! GasSavers_JusBringIt Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome 2 03-08-2008 03:51 PM
VX tailgate and other parts 1993CivicVX For Sale 0 09-24-2007 07:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.